• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Study of Jazz Repertoire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen the topic in "Jazz" entitled "the study of classical repertoire" ( http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=23586&forum=3&6 ), I started thinking - do people whose playing is primarily classical-based study jazz at all?
I love listening to a variety of jazz and have studied a very small amount, but that has mainly been down to trying to learn different techniques (half-valving, plunger, falls etc) that are more common in the jazz language, but do appear in the more contemporary works for orchestras and ensembles.

So, do the classically based trumpeters here find that the study of jazz helps their classical playing?
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start out by saying that I am not a classical player. I play Jazz and Commercial music mainly. (although I am about to buy a picc and a C) I just wanted to chime in on your post if I may. I am starting to get into the classical side of the coin more just to delve into another genre of music that I don't normally play...AS A MEANS TO GET BETTER AT WHAT I DO.... Commercial studio work and work in horn sections for VARIOUS artists.

Classical music helps jazz musicians to play better. Jazz helps Classical musicians to become better. Any kind of playing you do you to get better as long as you have an objective to learn from your playing experiences.

Jazz playing is much more than half-valves and plunger effects. Practicing those techniques is just what it is...the technical issue of producing a 1/2 valve sound or a plungered effect. Jazz is truly an art form that cannot be taken lightly and DEMANDS much respect. (as Classical playing does as well) Anything that you play makes you better. Classical is a much more 'structured' format than Jazz. Jazz is structured in other ways. For example... You cannot take a Beethoven symphony and play the last Movement first. (thats blasphemous right??) In Jazz the stucture works as HEAD SOLO HEAD (or the like). But a jazz musician might say I am going to play a chorus or two up front and then play the head... (thats not uncommon at all) A piano player may make chord substitutions at anytime and at his discretion. See what I am saying? Playing both benefits you...

Learn a pop song with high trumpet parts in it or very staccato parts. That will help you to get better as well. Hope this helps!

-Cory-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-20 02:42, trumpetmike wrote:
Having seen the topic in "Jazz" entitled "the study of classical repertoire" ( http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=23586&forum=3&6 ), I started thinking - do people whose playing is primarily classical-based study jazz at all?
I love listening to a variety of jazz and have studied a very small amount, but that has mainly been down to trying to learn different techniques (half-valving, plunger, falls etc) that are more common in the jazz language, but do appear in the more contemporary works for orchestras and ensembles.

So, do the classically based trumpeters here find that the study of jazz helps their classical playing?
Yes!
Wilmer
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad to see that my original post in "jazz" has started a nice dialogue about studying various genres of music to become better all around players.

An added benefit from practicing classical repetoire for me has been that my wife came into my practice room recently and listened for a while, she was really digging these pieces that I was working on.

Happy practicing,
Spitty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: