• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pines of Rome?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Pines of Rome? Reply with quote

I just auditioned for a local community orchestra and won the principal trumpet position which I'm totally psyched about. I was just sent a list of some of the pieces and this is my first time doing an orchestra like this other then a small college orchestra. I have never played this piece before or really studied a recording of it. Does anyone have just some general tips about the piece? I am working on getting the trumpet part but I don't know how soon I will be able to get it and was just wondering if there is anything I can to start preparing for it. Also, what are some suggested standout recordings to listen to of the piece. Thanks for all the advice!! Also, If anyone might be able to email me the 1st trumpet part that would be aweomse!!
Adam Metzler

Last edited by Meldog on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

There were a lot of topics in the Recording Folder about what your Favorite recording was of a specific piece. Check out Pines & Fountains for lots of good choices to pick from.

My suggestion on preparing the piece is to find the loudest straight mute that you can. I worked this up for an audition and my instructor loaned me his JoRal straight mute after I was struggling with my Denis Wick. It was light night and day! Make sure your multiple tonguing is lightening fast as there are many lines that will test your limits.

I'm doing a version of Pines with my Wind Ensemble this year and am very excited about it.

Have fun!
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Adam!

On his Orchestral Excerpts for Trumpet CD (Summit Records) Philip Smith provides tips for playing several key Pines excerpts. It's about $15 online at places like amazon.com and Dillon music. It's well worth getting, both for the tips and hearing the resulting sound produced by one of the very finest principal trumpeters of our time. IMHO this CD should be part of every orchestral trumpeter's library. It will help you with other literature in the future too.

I'm sure you'll have a blast playing Pines. Best of luck.
- Matt
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the tips so far. I'm really looking forward to it. I have the CD and love it. I'm just dog sitting right now and when I found out I'd be playing it I can't get to it till next week so I'm looking forward to listening to Phil Smith on that piece with new ears:) Thanks again!!
Adam Metzler
captain canuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of recordings worth checking out, Chicago - Reiner, Montreal, Pittsburgh, NY Phil. (there are tons more)
Volume 2 Rob Roy McGregor Prep. book would be a great investment.
Congrats, good luck!
SilverTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you wanted playing tips, but just from having played the excerpt a few times I would say to get your multiple tounging (sp?) pretty perfect.

~J.R.R. Tolkien
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: pines tips Reply with quote

Since you mentioned you never worked on the piece before, here is my suggestion for the lyric solo.

When it comes to playing the third mvt solo, don't worry about playing too softly during practice. Work on a nice, beautiful mf sound, and when you get into the hall/performance space you can determine how loud is too loud. That way you keep away from learning the solo with a scared, pinched sound like I hear so many people do.

I echo the sentiment that you should have your multiple tonguing up to snuff, although I've never quite figured out the very beginning...Playing it at tempo seems impossible to me...

Stay centered, mentally and chopwise, on the "buh buh buh baahhhh" part, leading up to the high C in the first movement. Also, if you're having any troubles, taking the dynamic down a pinch could help with the ease of playing required to climb that mountain.

Congrats, also - Playing principal, especially on a piece with as much to work on as pines, has always taught me countless things that a lesson never could, and I'm sure it will do the same for you.

Good luck,

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: