• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bill Adam "style" teachers in Atlanta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Bill Adam "style" teachers in Atlanta Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a comback player who's been off the horn for about 10 years, now. I once studied under a Bill Adam student, Ron Neald (Is he still around!?, Anyone know? The last time I saw him, he was hitting golf balls on a New Albany, IN elementary school playground, but I hear he's an amazing jazz bassist around the Louisville, KY area) in New Albany, Indiana and he pretty much took me as far as I ever went on the trumpet. He was an amazing person, to say nothing of his teaching abilities.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any Bill Adam "disciple" instructors in the Atlanta area. I had great success with that method/style/philosphy/whatever way back when and, no disrespect to my subsequent teachers/instructors, I don't feel I ever really progressed beyond what I was taught by Mr Neald after I left him. I'd really like to have another go-round with another Bill Adam-style teacher to see how far I can take his ideas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy from another kid from New Albany! (NAHS class of '73)

Butch Neeld is a great musician. Unfortunately he had some botched dental work 10 or 15 years ago which left nerve damage and kept him from being the excellent trumpet player he once was. Your info is right and Butch has created a second career for himself as a jazz bassist who works all the time around Louisville with people like Jamey Aebersold. He is also still a heck of a golfer.

In Atlanta the first name that comes to mind is John Head. John is retired from the Atlanta Symphony and is a heck of a teacher and player. He is about the same age as Butch, so they might have even been in school together at IU.

I believe that another guy in the area is Kim Peterson. Kim is in a military band and the last I heard he was stationed in your area.

Good luck!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim is out of the military and living in LA.
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH,

Thanks for the info! It's a small world. I'm glad to hear that Mr Neald is still doing well. I was actually his student after the dental work you mentioned but I still always thought his sound was amazing.

I was able to google up some contact info on John Head, as well. As soon as I get my playing back up to a level worthy of lessons (funny how that works), I'll be sure to approach him about lessons or at least recommendations for other instructors.

Thanks, again.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one who's been there -- get the lessons ASAP, then worrying about getting "good enough for a lesson". Bad habits come back fast; better to start working on nice new ones first... FWIWFM - Don

p.s. I have a couple of recordings of John Head (with Sue Mitchell-Wallace) performing songs from their collaborations. Wow. My brother's in Atlanta, maybe I'll have to go visit him soon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: