• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adam and Discipline

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Adam and Discipline Reply with quote

I'm looking for some anecdotal stuff here, guys. I never had the chance to work with Mr. Adam in an academic setting, so I was curious how he handled the "problem" student. I know a lot has been made about how positive he is, and he never seems to be "hard" on a student regarding their playing.

But what about the occasional slacker that comes through? The kid with excuses for everything, getting bad grades in his theory/ear training classes, etc. Did Adam ever have to lecture students about this kind of stuff?

Thanks for the help!
Bob
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at Indiana, I knew better than to make excuses in my lessons if I wasn't prepared. I figured that my teachers 1) would be able to tell and 2) they had already heard every lame excuse.
Recently, some of my friends told me when students did try to make excuses, Adam would pull out this little card from his wallet and hand it to the student. The card read: "Never before have I heard such a sad story. I am deeply moved. You have my complete sympathy."
I had 100 of these cards printed, and they are very effective with my private students, especially the teenagers. I had one student, after getting the card a few weeks prior, started making some lame excuse about why he couldn't practice. I cut him off and asked, "Do I have to pull out the card again?" That ended the excuses.

Barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: