• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

leadpipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
senea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: leadpipe Reply with quote

I have recently incorporated leadpipe into my routine, and it has been really helpful in getting energy into my sound. So far I just play the first pitch three or four times to get the energy going and then I get on the horn, but I know some people can get creative.

What is your routine on leadpipe? How are you approaching it? I just want to try new things with it.

Thanks for your responses ahead of time!

Senea
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a good website on leadpipe stuff here:
http://www.brianscriver.com/lessons.htm

also, we have discussed it in the carmine caruso section of the forum.
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27286

personally, the routine on that website does wonders for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are living in Bloomington, I would go down the street and ask Bill Adam.
senea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I want here is a variety of things - I just wanted to see what different people do with leadpipe.

Senea

Besides, I am going to see Bill Adam at the first of the year. Can't wait!
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One interesting drill is to blow air through the mouthpiece only, slide the mouthpiece into the pipe while moving the air and find that spot where the pipes' resistance sets up the vibration.

This has been very helpful to me when I start to clamp down and set up an isometric response that tends to close the sound off. Try it sometime. It is a good lesson in how little effort is really needed to get a free sound going.

Have a good time with Mr. Adam. He's the best!
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senea --

Others may have had different experiences, but Mr. Adam never had me do any extended routines on the leadpipe. It was simply a question of playing the fundamental a few times. He also has a shorter leadpipe which plays the octave above that, and sometimes we would play that note a few times too. But I've never heard of any lengthy leadpipe routines from any of his students. It's simply a way to get the air moving and start to "get things fired up."
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd chair,

That is a good thing to do. Mr. Adam told me of a student who created a spring loaded device to hold the mouthpiec in line with the receiver. You could blow on the piece as you push the piece in to the receiver with your lips. I took an old mouthpiece and drilled a hole through the shank just below the throat. I put the mouthpiece in the receiver and when I blow I get only the sound of air coming out the holes. When I cover the holes with my fingers, the lips vibrate and the trumpet sounds. This works well with kids and non-believers as I have them close their eyes and then I plug the holes so they have no chance of manipulationg their lips to start the sound.

Senea,

Have you had lessons with him before? I'll try to remeber to E-mail you before my next trip to Bloomington. Maybe we could play some routine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: