• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'm requesting opinions on this performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: I'm requesting opinions on this performance. Reply with quote

I'm looking for any constructive comments about a recent performance of mine. I don't have the luxury of having a private teacher on trumpet at this time, and I would like to hear people's views on style, phrasing, tone, etc...

http://students.ou.edu/G/Martin.T.Gardner-1/Clowns.mp3

and before anyone mentions it, yes I know the high G was a little out of tune. [/code]

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: I'm requesting opinions on this performance. Reply with quote

Sooner wrote:
I'm looking for any constructive comments about a recent performance of mine. I don't have the luxury of having a private teacher on trumpet at this time, and I would like to hear people's views on style, phrasing, tone, etc...

http://students.ou.edu/G/Martin.T.Gardner-1/Clowns.mp3

and before anyone mentions it, yes I know the high G was a little out of tune. [/code]

Piano Intro is nice...Nice arrangement, but not my cup. Who did the arrangement of that chart?

Nice lead trumpet sound. The band sounds a little rough. Lead trumpet player is on the verge of being a strong lead player. I think there is a lack of focus in the lead sound but nothing that cannot be fixed over time and practice. The sound is kind of all over the place. It sounds as if your air is getting cut off in the upper register. (around E-G) Remember to take a big relaxed breath and relax, but not too much and let the notes happen. You have the notes in your horn...now just let them out.
Overall, you sound pretty good. I think that you are going to be a good lead trumpet player. I would like to hear a recording of your performance next semester as to see how you've grown as a player. Keep up the good work.
For not having a private teacher it's pretty impressive. Seek the help of an instructor that can sit with you and look at your style and really help you on what needs the work.
If you can't afford full time private lessons...Take one private lesson and go back two months later with the concepts discussed learned perfectly...or as close to. You can fix the visible things really quickly and work on really weak issues over time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to work on hearing the sound you want before you produce it. Once you're physically able to get those notes out of your horn, alot of the rest of your work is just mental. I would suggest that maybe you start doing a little mpc buzzing at the beginning of your day, just so that you can understand what I mean by "hearing" your sound before you play it. And find a teacher. I think you're at a very crucial point in your playing, where you might be ready to make a huge breakthrough, but you need some guidance. Overall, good recording for being on your own playing-wise. Let us know what developes.
Rectangleboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should work on getting a fuller sound. Jazz typically should have more of a brighter sound than normal concert music, but a steady, nice tone and centered pitch will make it sound much better. If you decide to tongue, tongue consistently and make a clear identification of the note - make sure the audience knows that you want to attack the note. Don't let it crack, waver in pitch, have bad tone, etc. What you could do to help that is sit down and go through the notes on your horn and figure out how each one sounds individually. Also work on getting a clear attack, and strive for that every time. Most of what you do on your horn is mental.

As these guys have said before me, get the sounds of each note into your head. Before you play, buzz a scale or some arpeggios into your mouthpiece. Long tones are also great for endurance and hlding a steady pitch. If you are able to get together with a private teacher, make sure he, or she, is a master of your instrument.

Good luck, you sound great.
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say, that is a really nice sounding band you have there. The main thing that I seem to notice is that during your solo, the notes just did/t want to come out very clean. I wonder maybe if that isn't a little beyond what your comfortable playing is. During the part where it goes up to the Dbl G and then back down real quickly, it didn't come out at all.

I will say though, that you guys have a great sound, and that was a job well done.

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
Niel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm requesting opinions on this performance. Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:

Piano Intro is nice...Nice arrangement, but not my cup. Who did the arrangement of that chart?

Sounds like the arrangement used on Kenton's '76 album?

-Niel
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a very musical performance of the peice there, nice work. It's a hard solo, I know! I used to study with John Harner, the man it was written for. He didn't record the Bb either, so don't feel so bad about that! I think you could be a little more agressive with your horn, it sounded like you were trying to be a little TOO pretty. I've performed that piece a dozen times...never did it quite like Harner, but I don't think that many can.

I don't remember what state you are from, but I did see that you go to an OU. Is that Ohio University? If you are interested I could hook you up with John Harner for lessons - if you're interested.

Let me know, and good luck,
Matt Anklan
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no...you live in Ok...I can hook you up with another fabulous lead player who is at OU getting his doctorate. Mark Wilcox is his name...Let me know!
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is the arrangement from Kenton '76.

I did take lessons over the summer from the jazz prof at OU so I haven't been entirely on my own. Part of the problem with the performance was that I still suffer from stage fright and even though I have managed to get it under control it tends to surface during stessfull parts like the solo. I have the pleasure of playing in the Sooner Showmen with Mark (the OU basketball band) and he has also subbed on a concert that I was playing on as well. I have to agree that he is a fabulous player and a great guy as well.

I hope to be able to take lessons this upcoming semester, but it all depends on if the GA's have a slot open for me. I'm finally done with all the applied composition that I need to take for my degree so I hope to have more time to practice trumpet this year. If only parts would edit themselves... sigh, but that's the life of a composer. I probably Spend about 10 hours editing for every 2-3 hours of composing that I do. If I could spend that time practicing I'm sure that I would be able to see a drastic improvement.

Any good word to Mark would be appreciated as I would love a chance to take from him, but I would guess that he is rather busy with all the lessons he already teaches.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I have to say that is a cool song. I think I have listened to it like 3 times by now lol. I would like to hear the original

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no comments about your playing that haven't been mentioned already. I think you're beyond a great start and are only going to get better from there. However, I did notice the band had that signature academic sound, almost too sterile to listen too. Everyone's trying to get every idiosynchracy down perfect instead of just playing the notes and the music and having fun. Didn't sound bad at all though other than that. The trumpet solo was great. Sounded like you might have had road[kill] chops during the solo, something we all as humans must go through at one time or another and are never immune too. Overall, impressive!
archer49d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: My 2 cents Reply with quote

Just one thing I wanted to say that hasn't been said already, that is that I hope your using the Conn 38b and not the Small bore Bach (NY Bachs are great don't get me wrong) for playing lead, if your using the Bach I think that a horn with that small a bore might be giving you a hard time in the upper register, just my experience though, I know guys who can drill the high register on Holton Peashooters.
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Clowns Reply with quote

To answer the question about the arranger, it's by Dave Barduhn. I have this version of the chart as published by Creative World Music in the 70's.
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlugelFlyer wrote:
However, I did notice the band had that signature academic sound, almost too sterile to listen too. Everyone's trying to get every idiosynchracy down perfect instead of just playing the notes and the music and having fun.

Thats what I was trying to get at....the band sounded academic. (I just couldn't think of the words to use) The great college big bands....such as Univ. of Miami, One O'Clock from Noth Texas, sound like professional working bands.....well actually they are but you know what I mean. They play like any other pro big band and don't just try to capture a certain sound....they just do it. Anyway, you guys are on your way....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played that solo and I know how I felt before and during. Very tight. I could never hit the high b flat like you did.

I think that you sounded great. I am curious how old you are.
If I were doing this again I would not think about the solo leading up to it and just relax and let it happen. You have the muscle to do it.
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough piece and for not having an instructor you really nailed it well.

The only comment I have is that the band was burying you at points. I would almost bet that you were using the Bach. If you're playing with a big band, switch to the Connie. The Conn has a sound that can cut right through a band. Also, remember that cutting through or playing over the top of a band is not about blowing harder for more volume---although that's part of it. You have to work on projection and a teacher will be invaluable there.

Listen to the tonight show band with Doc Severinsen or any other albums with Doc and a big band. There's a Christmas album where you hear the band take off and play for several measures. You're wondering---o.k., where's Doc? Then, up out of the middle of the band drifts this effortless, ethereal sounding horn and you know you've finally heard Doc. That's the type of playing you need......
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the connie on that performance, but the hall that we play in was made with the Orchestra in mind. The sound of the trumpets (or anyone at the back of the stage) tend to get swallowed up by the hall.

StewMuse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner said: "and before anyone mentions it, yes I know the high G was a little out of tune."

First, your chops are going to be really great as you get better. They are already quite strong. What struck me, though, was the disparity between your low and high register intonation. The opening passgae was pretty flat, only to turn sharp as you repeated it in the higher octave. The highest G was not a real problem for me.

Being a better player means, specifically here, playing better in tune. When you start hitting the notes more precisely in the center of the pitch, your strength will also increase because you won't have to be constantly "fussing" with your embouchure to fix the pitch of the note you just played.

That's a really scary solo, though, because most all trumpeters, at least those 30+ years, already know it by heart (or certainly should!). Great effort!

My iBooks currently available: Military Bugle Calls, Courting the Upper Register, Building Trumpet Technique, Tuff Keys, CUR II: JAZZ, Trumpet Rounds, Beginning Jazz for Young Trumpeters, Cigars @ Home
joetriscari
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Feed Back!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us listen to your recording.....
I think you did a fine job...Your sound will get bigger and filled with confidence as you continue to grow as a trumpet player.....
I feel the band has alot of intonation issues...which makes it even harder for you to play with confindence.....
Keep up the hard work...
I highly suggest to study with a fine teacher...
If you want any ideas please email...
Sincerely,
Joe Triscari
jvtriscari@earthlink.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: