• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Combo group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonySwartz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Combo group Reply with quote

Hey all,

You've been helpful before, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction here. I'm looking to start up a little combo type group basically just to play in some local coffee shops, little venues, etc. and to play at some indoor football half times/national anthems. 2 questions:

1) Where would I look to find some music for say alto sax, trumpet, bari sax, and rhythm that would be fairly easy to put together and still fun to listen to? Any chart suggestions? Some soloing is desired, not necessarily in every instrument though. The "band members" I have aren't pros in soloing, neither am I. Just want to get around and play a little.

2) For the football, anyone know a good "jazzy" arrangement of the national anthem or do we just need to come up with our own? Anyone know a cool version of the national anthem period, besides the original version? How about some "half time" music? Anything interesting you know of there?

Thanks! I'll post here if I find anything on my own.
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably invest in some fake books. Often small combos don't need arrangements as long as everyone has/knows the melody and chords. You may want to write your own arrangments for some tunes but most of the time the rhythm section comps and the horns play the melody in unision, then, whoever wants to solo can. Sometimes you can work out arrangments that are just verbal like everyone plays the A section on Oleo but the trumpet blows over the bridge.

Good luck!
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz combo at football games? Not heard of that one yet...

But yes fakebooks are a good idear...
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took our stripped down jazz ensemble to one college football game
(3 trumpets; 3 bones; 5 saxes; bass; guitar, Fender Rhodes piano; kit drummer) way back in 1972. We did the Jimi Hendrix version of the National Anthem - did not garner great reviews from the short haired crowd, though. But we were such a hot group the other school's pep band refused to even play more than one song.

We were a bunch of long haired hippy types and were not asked back.
Olds Super, 1964 w/ C.M. Purviance 5*K4
Marcinkiewicz: E8.4 Shew 1.75
Schilke Flugel; Kanstul Flugel
Kanstul Valve Bone
Surfboard quiver: 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: