• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Highlights of my IAJE Conference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Highlights of my IAJE Conference Reply with quote

Here are some of my high points (I'm just including the trumpet oriented ones becuase this is TH).

1) Hearing Wayne Bergeron several times, including him playing Maynard's part on MacArthur Park with the Fullerton Community College Jazz Band (with an excellent student lead player).

2) Gerald Wilson's band with Bijon Watson on lead, Jon Faddis in the scream role (ala Cat), Snooky Young still playing his heart out in the section, and Sean Jones blowing great solos.

3) The big bands of Bob Florence, Bill Holman, and Kim Richmond, and great small group playing by Bobby Shew.

4) Carl Saunders sounds great playing both jazz and lead. How's he do that?

5) Brian Lynch with the Caribbean Jazz Project.

6) An excellent trumpet clinic by Darryl White.

7) Too many great student performances to count, but the performances by Jackie Coleman (with the Sisters in Jazz) and Matt Holman (with Monk by Five) made me particularly proud to teach at IU!

8) Fabulous hangs with too many fantastic trumpet players: Clay Jenkins, Marvin Stamm, John Thomas, Matt Simon, and THers Dave Bacon (and his lovely wife) and Yamahaguy.

If you didn't catch this you obviously missed the best jazz hang in the world. Next year it will be in New York January 11-14. Be there or be sqaure.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Highlights of my IAJE Conference Reply with quote

PH wrote:
4) Carl Saunders sounds great playing both jazz and lead. How's he do that?

He switches mouthpieces.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos Pat! Great post...let's see, many highlights for me as well-

1) Meeting Wayne Bergeron and setting up a lesson
He was too busy in Long Beach, but per emails we're gonna hook up in July. Very cool!
2) Big Phat Band- if you haven't heard this band seriously check it out! Phenomenal.
3) Speaking to Roger Ingram again (glad to see he's better) after Mantooth Tribute. Excellent band and very touching video at end of concert.
4) Bobby Shew playing Brown/Roach tunes.
5) Chase Sanborn clinic

Many other memorable moments but don't want to ramble...hope to see more of you next year in NY! Cool to see other THers Tom and Pat, sorry Dave catch ya next time.
-Dennis
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how could I forget the Mantooth tribute. Every single person was crying at some point. The band, led by my drummer and compadre Steve Houghton, was stunning. What a trumpet section:Roger Ingram, Marvin Stamm, Jeff Jarvis, & Mike Steinel.

Frank was an incredible musician and a really beautiful cat.
flugelbread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: DKO Reply with quote

Did anyone hear the Darren Kramer Organization?

Or how about the University of Northern Colorado?

I had such a great time there as well! I'm with ya, the Phat Band was fantastic! Unfortunately, I didn't get my badge until late Friday...so I didn't get to see a lot...but did anyone see those kids that played on Saturday afternoon...up in the Hyatt at about 3PM? I'm spacing out the name right now...but they were great!

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: