• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MF Tribute Concert video clips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StewMuse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: MF Tribute Concert video clips Reply with quote

Perhaps this has been covered before, but I recently was made aware of the following site that contains many video clips (mostly complete performances) from last October's MF Tribute concert, "Stratospheric."

http://www.fuzzylumkin.com (what??? - just go there)

I've been to this site numerous times, and have listened to every clip (yes - it takes quite awhile). My favorite clips from the MF concert, focusing primarily on who really nailed the chart and seemed unfazed by the event and other players.

Eric Myashiro - Don't Let the Sun Go Down; Conquistador; MacArthur Park (esp. the rehearsal version)
John Chudoba - Gospel John
Scott Englebright - Hey Jude; lead on Frame for the Blues
Bobby Shew - overall, great playing but seemed to be physically "on the edge" a lot

While there are LOTS of short moments of glory and solid playing by most everyone (Roger Ingram aside, sorry, but his two solo cuts are terrible), Most of the players really show why Maynard was unique. To my ears, Eric Myashiro was the only one who REALLY had the style, physical power, and sound locked in to the real MF aura. The other soloists were pretty much just high note guys who didn't quite "understand" the nuance and bravado that Maynard achieved.

Flame-retardant suit activated...

My iBooks currently available: Military Bugle Calls, Courting the Upper Register, Building Trumpet Technique, Tuff Keys, CUR II: JAZZ, Trumpet Rounds, Beginning Jazz for Young Trumpeters, Cigars @ Home
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thread from the performers forum covered this. There's actually two threads from the same time period.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29413

Pete DiSiena played MF's part on Frame For the Blues.

Some of the best moments of the event are not available on the website in question, especially Bergeron's features with his own band and the alumni band, not to mention the Holman and Menza big and performances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: