• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Parduba Double Cup *5*-Too Thin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted earlier that i have a mpc that maynard played on, a parduba double cup *5*. It sounded great at first but then my sound in the high register started to get really thin. Has anyone else ever had this problem

Ben Love
RAS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are experiencing the wonderful sensation of having your lips fall into a cup. That mouthpiece is the one Harry James used, too. I had one many years ago. Most of us need some inner edge and more cup to avoid this problem.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-02 03:53, RAS wrote:
You are experiencing the wonderful sensation of having your lips fall into a cup. That mouthpiece is the one Harry James used, too. I had one many years ago. Most of us need some inner edge and more cup to avoid this problem.

I have in my MP BUCKET...both a Parduba 5.5 (this is the Harry James model, I didn't realize that Harry used a 5?) I also have a gold plated Parduba # 6 but gotta tell ya. To me, the 5.5 plays bold-dense and in no way does it "play THIN?"

*(Needing more inner edge?)...lips falling into the cup?
This sounds more like a problem of USING TOO MUCH ARM PRESSURE and CRAMMIN' the mouthpiece into your chops with tooooo much pressure???
The inner rim of the cup is noticable sharper than most mps.(for better octave flexibility and slurring) BUT-BUT-BUT!!! and if one uses too much pressure..
.this can really lead to some pretty ugly looking and hurting chops after a while.
All in all...
THANKFULLY the rim is quite generous in fatness and this help keeps some of the "cookie-cutter sydrome effect to a minimum,
but still,
with my werido'liverEEE-lips and tendency to add that EXTRA pressure to my above the staff bigger notes after about a half hour of consistant player,especially when I begin to tire.....then really NASTY THINGS START TO BLOOM!
MY CHOPPERS HAVE BEEN BRUISED MANY TIMES from this bad habit, SO REMEMBER... If one uses too much arm pressure to "eeek" out those screamer notes on the Parduba, which virtually "teases most players into going for it, the downside could be some pretty sore-lips for a while.

Actually as advertised,the parduba gives most players a couple of notches and notes of higher range...but the big factor to the Parduba is that the bread and butta' normal staff and below staff notes remain really full, centered and dense...(due to the quite volumous depth of the inner center cup and yet the outside shallower cup allows for an nice solid upper register with beautiful clarity and punch, BUT ONLY IF USED PROPERLY.
IN FACT!!!! ASK DICK AKRIGHT???
http://www.parduba.com

He has told me and other players that if one hasn't fully developed set of chops...or uses excess pressure..
DICK WILL STRONGLY ADVISE AND WILL VIRTUALLY TELL YOU===

"NOT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME...WORKING WITH A PARDUBA!!!
Ha! or at least until you have a really strong set of choppers.

I poooopo'd this golden piece of advice. Bought one from him, anyhoo... By the 3rd day I looked into the mirror in the morn.after a 3 hour gig, the night before, and while shaving and SAW THIS UGLY FACE STARING BACK AT ME..
.WITH THE WORST LOOKING BRUISES AND HATCH MARKS that looks like I had been sucking on a broken beer bottle...
It hurt like ~!@#$%^for about a week before I learned to BACK-OFF!!!
KNOW WHAT???
When using the Parduba properly, (by backing off, by not over-blowing or using excess pressure.) AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL PERFORMANCE ANS SOUND CAN BE A GIFT using Parduba's.
TRUST ME, OR DICK AKRIGHT???THEY ARE RISK'S INVOLVED AT PLAY HERE?
AMAZING THINGS CAN BE DONE WITH THE PARDUBA 5.5! So much so, I would call it bettern'-a-Bach or like a "BACH ON STEROIDS!"
Still.....
With my meagerness, I have chosen to go for the CALLET VARI-CUP mouthpieces...(that have a darker sound, FAR MORE COMFORTABLE RIM that,(BEST OF ALL) will not cut your chops off, and at the same time...Callet cups will also add the EXTRA-VOLUME of cup area which in turn will and does give you a denser and fatter sound.:

Keep in mind, new mp designs are coming out, ALMOST DAILY, even Callet has re-designed and refined his mp. line.
Currently I am working with his new little 12vfs mp. (for me however, I sacrific the big bold main notes with this #12...but with my Callet Symphonique C this # 12 is perfect.

BUT NOT ON MY Bflat horns??? I should have considered the larger #10perhaps....

I still prefer the duel cup Callet for extra punch and added range or my overly large Warburton 4Vs-#10 back-bore for a huge sound if the music isn't overly demanding... or go for a compermise with the #7Vari-cup Callet.
As much as I enjoy the Parduba, I only play it on rare occations...but because of my poor embo....and bad playing habits of trying TO CRAME THE HORN DOWN MY THROAT...after I begin to tire!

Better part of valor...and uncommon sense tells me USE THE PARDUBA WITH EXTRA CAUTION! and all that jazz.

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-08-05 11:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-08-05 11:13 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: