• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

STAINLESS STEEL MOUTHPIECE?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan Giddings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Trumpet Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I saw this thread and wanted to reply

We are currently in the process of making our trumpet mouthpieces in stainless steel, and Titanium. We will soon be adding information regarding these mouthpieces to our website www.gwmouthpieces.com

We have a few proto-types, that need some work on the rims, and we have about two-three months of research and development before these mouthpieces will be completely up and running. Maybe a bit sooner depending on our next generation of mouthpiece proto-types

So far I'm very encouraged with the sound these mouthpiees are producing. Our current prototypes are similar to bach 1 1/4C, 1 1/2C, 3C, 7C. They produce a sound with a thick core and very good projection, and articulation. The one thing we are working on is getting the core and projection with a bit more sizzle to the sound. This can be done by changing the backbore and doing a few tweeks in the throat design.

This has taken us longer than expected mainly because of what has already been mentioned about Stainless steel being tricky to work in, and also because we will be producing mouthpieces made of titanium as well

If you have any questions or comments please let me know

Ivan Giddings
(253) 381-8346
www.gwmouthpieces.com
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing...Are these going to be available for trumpet as well or just tuba and trombone? (Why should THEY have all the fun?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the first one experimenting with titanium mpcs:

http://www.titanovation.com

I'll be testing this mpcs soon...

Good luck on your research, I hope your trumpet mpcs will have a nicer look compared to their heavy brothers....
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to make my own S.S. MP's for a little while, but damn that backbore is a killer!! I'm working on a tungsten reamer to fix this(maybe fix this) What do you guys use for the backbore??
On a side note I wonder how a cemented carbide MP would go......might be a bit difficult to compress.
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
Ivan Giddings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: SS backbore Reply with quote

You are correct Stainless steel is very difficult to machine. However if you have the speeds and feeds right, and you own the proper tooling it is possible to machine stainless steel. From personal experience a quality CNC lathe, with a person who knows how to operate it makes things a lot easier. If you are not a machinist there is a lot to learn Bob Webster my partner has 32 years of experience as a tool maker ( note: "tool maker" is a high precision machinist) In our case it took us about a hundred hours of planning for every minute worth of machine operating.

This planning was absolutely critical so we could design and make our own tooling for the mouthpieces we are working on. We are also making titanium mouthpieces, so our tooling is highly specialized. However even with special tooling, and a knowledgeable machinist Stainless steel and Titanium present numerous problems that take time, patience, and a lot of planning to be successful.

This may not be the answer you were looking for, but I think it will shed some light on the process of working with different materials.

Ivan Giddings
www.gwmouthpieces.com
gwmouthpieces@yahoo.com
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha makes a solid silver mouthpiece. I would think it would be very similar and perhaps superior to stainless steel. I tried one and it definitely played different... sort of like a heavy weight mouthpiece but still different. I liked it. If you know of a Yamaha mouthpiece you like, you can get most of the popular sizes in in the sterling silver at places like mouthpieceexpress.com (NO returns on these models). One other major drawback-- they cost upwards of $300.
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am a machinist who operates a CNC lathe and mill. The problem I am having is making adjustments on the back bore as I have to make a new reamer each time. Oh well at least it doesn't cost me anything to try different things!!!
I listen to all you guys talking about this MP and that MP, the music shops near me don't stock alot of pieces to try, if you want a certain one you have to order it in
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one of these Giddings & Webster mouthpieces the other day. I have to say it played fantastic! The rim felt a little odd, but the I think the piece projected better and spoke easier than my nomral piece. I also think the sound was a little clearer. Anyone else tried these?
Keith R.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a G & W for several months, and I'm thinking of trying one in a different size.

I immediately liked how open it felt. Somehow it seemed like the tone was...bigger, or fuller.

The feel on the chops is incredible. Neither silver nor gold is even close for me.
duane v
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a place called LoudMouthpieces manufactures stainless mouth pieces...I was looking at them, prior to my pal giving me his Asymmetric mouth piece.
http://loudmouthpieces.com/display_product.php?id=42
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: