• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When life gives you lemons....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpt4hire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: When life gives you lemons.... Reply with quote

A few months ago I posted that I had a horn and several mouthpieces stolen. I have yet to hear anything back about that, but some good things have come from that. I had been playing Monette mouthpieces since 1994 and never felt the urge to try anything else. After they were stolen, I could not afford to replace them all, and get a new horn (I ended up getting a pretty decent horn on ebay to replace the stolen horn). A buddy of mine lent me a GR66MX for awhile, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I found that my articulation was much cleaner, and my tone was more focused. Since then, I have tried a few others and I now use the 66MX and 66S with great success.

The greatest part of all this came to a head today when I received a Northen Brass 66FL**** for my Benge flugel horn. I have not been able to put it down all day, it plays wonderfully. I have fallen in love again, with a horn that I was thinking of selling because of my frustration with it. I have owned this horn for 17 years, and it has never played so easily.

Thank you to Bruce Lee at Northern Brass for all of his help, and to the guys at GR for making a great product.

Chris Taylor
Director of Bands
Park City High School

PS This is not in anyway meant to slight the Monette products, I still think that Dave makes a great mouthpiece.
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Chris!

Thanks for the kind words! It sounds like that Northern Brass/GR rim is a great fit for your face! It's great when you find a good match to a horn, too. Maybe your small group playing will take on a new direction to favor your new-found mellow side?

I'm sure that you'll have a similar experience with your trumpet, too... IF you can put the flugelhorn down long enough!

Thanks again, and keep blowin', Chris!

Best always,
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: