• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn detectives - help me out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Horn detectives - help me out Reply with quote

O.K., I bought it, what is it? I think I know, but I'm not positive, took a bit of a gamble. And what's with the funky brace? Has someone converted this to a tuning bell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7308399396&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Bob
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a bottle of Al Cass oil in the case from way back--it's the old eye dropper bottle. I think those went away about 20 years ago.

Sorry I couldn't help on the horn
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, I looked at it too,and wondered the same thing about that rear brace. I don't have a clue what it might be...Good luck

Still looking for my horn...
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

I've seen that type of brace in that location on several Pan American and Cavalier Horns which makes me believe that this horn is possibly an unmarked stencil made in the Pan American factory.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this is an Olds pro horn, not sure which one though. It looks like someone made modifications to it, and replaced the bell, I was thinking it could have been someone's attempt at a tunable bell horn, using a different bell. I noticed the place where the bell mates with the valves looks different then Olds. If it is an Olds, with the nickle plating on the leadpipe and tuning slide, and looking at the 1962 catalogue on Olds Central, it would have to be either a Special, Super or Recording. But I don't know, if the serial is right, it would have been made in 1955, and things could have changed. His 1957 catalogue just has drawings. One thing is it looks like it has the trombone style water key on the third slide too, looking at some late 40's Olds horns, some of them were like that, but by '53 it seems they started putting a regular water key on hte third slide. Or maybe this is all just wishful thinking, and maybe it is a Pan American with that funky brace they used. If it is I'll be PO'd. But, we shall see.

Bob
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spit valves look like Martin to me, wish I could see the bottom of the valve caps better. Congrats, maybe you picked up a modded Committee, if so at 104 dollars you are now the stuff of ebay legend.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that's a tantalizing thought. The third slide water key does look like a Martin, but not the tuning slide, at least on the ones I just looked at. My luck, it'll say " made in Czechoslovakia" on the reciever. I saw someone here a while back that got a Committee for $75 BIN on Ebay. Now that's legendary.

Bob
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, plp, you've got good eyes. Another bidder on the horn e-mailed me to ask about it, he said the horn was up twice, he almost got it and then the buyer backed out so they sent him a second chance offer and then they never replied back to him. Bummer. Anyway, he pointed out it has the Committee pinky ring and a few other Martin traits, and now I've seen examples of those water keys on Indianas and Imperials. This guy also said he's seen Martins with removable bells ( I remember seeing one on Ebay awhile back with a regular and a Dizzy bell) and custom jobs, he thought it might be one of those. I've never yet owned a Martin so I didn't recognize the traits.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: