• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lesson with Mr. Adam!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhawktrumpet85
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Lesson with Mr. Adam!!!! Reply with quote

Today I called Mr. Adam and set up a lesson for April 9! I'm incredibly excited right now...this will be my first lesson with him and from what I've heard from others, this will be a truly eye opening experience. I can't wait to get out to Bloomington!

Matt
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really great!!!

Just a word of warning. Don't expect to play your trumpet very much in your first lesson, possibly not at all. Mr Adam will talk about a whole bunch of stuff for most of the time. But it's stuff you NEED TO KNOW!
Take a tape or minidisc recorder with you. I listen back to my lessons all the time and I'm always picking up new stuff!

JB
MPWall1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Congrats! Reply with quote

You will leave your lesson, and every subsequent lesson, with Mr. Adam feeling like a million bucks.

I haven't yet attained the level of playing of other Adam students, but when I'm in a lesson with Mr. Adam, I feel like I'm John Rommel or Charlie Davis. Every word that Mr. Adam says is perfect for the situation--very few people can do that.

My advice would be to go in there as a clean slate. I put myself completely in Mr. Adam's hands when I go, and I am never less than amazed at how I am playing by the end.

After your lesson, head over to IU if you can and steal a practice room from a string player, or trade off routine with a student. This will just hammer home everything that Mr. Adam said.

This experience will change your life. Have a great time.

Michael Wall
senea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt - that's great! Did you get in with Rommel too?

You picked a great weekend to come out here! There should be a few trumpet players around next weekend - our studio recital is on Sunday and our dress rehearsal is on Friday.

There's also a couple of great solo recitals that weekend, trumpet, brass choir, and otherwise. One that you might consider is a double bass recital by DaXun Zhang: http://www.yca.org/zhang.html Some people liken his performances to something you would see at a circus - you have no idea how he can do that and you're glad it wasn't you having to do it!
redhawktrumpet85
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had my lesson, and I must say that it was GREAT! I didn't do too much playing, but I know that I need to know the stuff he talked about, and I got it all on tape so I can refer to it later. We did do some playing towards the end of the lesson, and some of the things he said are already making an impact on my playing. I definitely cannot wait to get out there again!

Matt
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

That's really cool!
One thing Mr Adam may have said to you is that it'll take between two - three years for this stuff to really start to happen. And he's right. I mean you'll get lots of improvements all the time but then it will suddenly click. I'm at the two year point and all of a sudden my playing has got a lot better. I consistently make improvements within each practice session!

Just keep your eyes on the goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us a synopsis of what you talked about. I wish I had taped the first lesson. I will be in Bloomington for lessons on April 15, 16, and 17.
senea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt - I'm glad you had a great lesson! It was nice to meet you! Maybe next time schedules won't be so weird, and we will be able to sit down and play!

Billy B - one of our graduate students, Thaddeus Archer, is giving a recital on the 16th at 7pm I believe. He won the concerto competition this year so he will also be playing the Chaynes with University Orchestra the night of the 17th. If you can make it to either one, I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed! He's a fantastic player!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senea wrote:
Matt - I'm glad you had a great lesson! It was nice to meet you! Maybe next time schedules won't be so weird, and we will be able to sit down and play!

Billy B - one of our graduate students, Thaddeus Archer, is giving a recital on the 16th at 7pm I believe. He won the concerto competition this year so he will also be playing the Chaynes with University Orchestra the night of the 17th. If you can make it to either one, I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed! He's a fantastic player!

I second that. It will be worth anyone's time if you can come hear Thaddeus play. I'm really looking forward to the Chaynes with Orchestra!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: