• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quick Olds Recording question:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Quick Olds Recording question: Reply with quote

does your Olds Recording have felt or cork padding above the valve springs?

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has green felt....and green felt above that again i.e. where the valve caps come down on.
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt. And mine came straight from the factory. It hasn't had any repair work done on it, since it was brand new.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. There is someone selling Olds parts on eBay and he is selling new cork and felt for a number of Olds horns so I was wondering if the cork had been replaced with felt on my Olds Recording.

Now I'm wondering which Olds horns had cork under the valve caps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7304254524&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7308282001&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

Cookiebaggs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are being offered on ebay by centex-brass. He is on TH under the name drpepp. I've bought some parts from him before. He seems to know his Olds stuff pretty good. Message him.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiebaggs wrote:
They are being offered on ebay by centex-brass. He is on TH under the name drpepp. I've bought some parts from him before. He seems to know his Olds stuff pretty good. Message him.

Thanks Cookiebaggs, I'll send him a message.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olds parts catalogue in my posession and it does indicate a cork and a felt washer for the piston stem.....item 30 which is Olds part number 0-05473-0 is a cork washer and then item 31 is a green felt washer which is Olds part number 0-03380-3. There is no felt washer under my valve tops and looking at the catalogue none are indicated. My horn is dated to 1961 perhaps earlier horns had both cork AND felt washers. On my horn the valve stem washer is quite a chunky item but in the catalogue the cork washer appears bulky with the felt washer wafer thin. The same part numbers are also used for the Ambassador, Special, Studio,Super, Mendez and the Opera trumpets.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanbach wrote:
I have an Olds parts catalogue in my posession and it does indicate a cork and a felt washer for the piston stem.....item 30 which is Olds part number 0-05473-0 is a cork washer and then item 31 is a green felt washer which is Olds part number 0-03380-3. There is no felt washer under my valve tops and looking at the catalogue none are indicated. My horn is dated to 1961 perhaps earlier horns had both cork AND felt washers. On my horn the valve stem washer is quite a chunky item but in the catalogue the cork washer appears bulky with the felt washer wafer thin. The same part numbers are also used for the Ambassador, Special, Studio,Super, Mendez and the Opera trumpets.

HHmmm, the plot thickens. So now I really wonder which Olds horns had the cork under the valve caps. It's interesting that you don't even have felt under your valve caps; is there no padding of any kind under your valve caps?

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

bilboboone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an olds ambassador and have worked on many other models of Olds (mendez, recording, super, etc.). The factory setup for the valves on olds is a felt stacked on a cork. The thickness of the felt should measure 1/16" (green if you order them from allied) and the thickness of the cork should measure 7/32"

I have never seen an olds that did not have this as the factory setup and I have repaired almost every model made from a variety of years. The easiest way to have your valve alignment checked is to take it to your local repairman. It is pretty easy for them to take measurements and come up with the right corks/felts. It shouldn't cost much either.

Boone
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB wrote:
alanbach wrote:

HHmmm, the plot thickens. So now I really wonder which Olds horns had the cork under the valve caps. It's interesting that you don't even have felt under your valve caps; is there no padding of any kind under your valve caps?

Perhaps we are getting a little mixed up here.....there isa green felt washer in the valve top but no felt washer in the fingertip assembly. My Eclipse has a similar setup.
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB wrote:
alanbach wrote:

Perhaps we are getting a little mixed up here.....there isa green felt washer in the valve top - visible without taking the valve out - which is Olds part number 0-3381-1 but no felt washer in the fingertip assembly. My Eclipse has a similar setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: