• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mike Hackett

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPWall1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Mike Hackett Reply with quote

Pat and all,

Last night I heard my old teacher (for 4 years) Mike Hackett play at Birdland with the Scott Whitfield Little Big Band--WOW! I hadn't heard him play in over a year since he moved to Indiana. There's a guy we'll all be hearing more from, I hope. He's got a new CD out, Circles, and you can check him out at www.MichaelHackett.com.

Mike studied with Mr. Adam during the '80s and is doing his DMA work at IU now. I think he's pretty active in on Indianapolis scene.

Pat, whatever you're doing with him as far as improv stuff, it's working. I hope he hasn't wrecked any more cars while driving to your house (last count was 2)!
Michael
Babb9520
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately agree. Mike Hackett is incredible. Our local NPR station just played some parts of his new CD and it was great.

Charlie Babb
trpthawaii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Mike Hackett Reply with quote

I was a classmate of Mike's at IU from 1986-1990. During that time, Mike and Scott Wendholt held the jazz book for David Baker's band and Mike was one of Baker's graduate assistants. As long as I've known him he's been a superb jazz player with really good ears. However, as a student, he was going though chop problems, puffing his cheeks, having range and endurance troubles, etc. The brilliant playing and gorgeous sound heard on his CD is testament to Mike's dedication and hard work on the horn as well as Mr. Adam's skill at getting players on track and turning them into serious trumpet players. Bravo, Mike!

Mark Minasian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: