• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

adam routine-clarke studies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: adam routine-clarke studies? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Although I gather there is not one 'adam' routine, did Mr Adam ever substitute Clarke #2 for #1 in the common routine. Is clarke 1 generally considered better for the concept of air accelaration? Remember, I can not get a lesson with him!! I think Mr Adams concepts are incredible, and have really changed my approach to playing.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the key things about the 1st study is that the chromatics are easy to blow through and connect and they make it easier to carry the feel, blow, and sound of long tones into a situation where we are in motion. The quality of sound we get on the long tone can more easily be carried into other contexts.

I know that many of Adam's students use the other studies in their own practice. I can remember him assigning the 2nd study sometimes back in the '70s. However, I can't recall him making other assignements from the Clarke book in recent years. However, once you understand the basic principles they can be applied to darned near anything.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first couple of lessons with Mr. Adam, he had me play the routine in the order: long tones -- the Schlossberg that starts C-B-B-C -- Clarke 1 -- two-octave chromatics. It has always seemed to me that the Clarke studies are part of this progression where we start with making the right sound on a single note and then practice maintaining that sound as we move farther away via chromatic movement. Obviously, a half-step is the smallest interval we can play so chromatic scales tend to be the easiest way of ensuring that the sound stays absolutely uniform.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: