• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going to Indiana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Going to Indiana Reply with quote

I will be attending Dsetino day in Indy on the 18th, then on to Bloomington for three days with Bill Adam. While speaking with him on the phone his only complaint is that at the age of 87 he can handle only 3-4 hours per day on the horn. Incredible.

Bill Bergren
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a lesson.......

Don't let him kid you. There's nothing he can't handle. The sound is right there and I noticed he's already wearing out the gold plating on the Bach Bb they gave him at the ITG in Denver.

If any of you get the chance go sit down for an hour with Mr. Adam. Amazing what a refresher will do for your sound, and your head for that matter!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gold Bach is from 80th birthday in 1997. How long have you been with Adam?
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1987.

I saw the horn they gave him and am probably in error about the age of the trumpet he was playing. In many other lessons he played another horn and seeing this one caused me to make a bad assumption.

I defer to others who know all. I normally do not post on this forum to avoid arguments over things that are not of importance. My point was to state my ongoing respect for the finest trumpet teacher I've ever met. I am very comfortable with that opinion regardless of the relative age of his trumpet.

I'll keep it to myself in the future.

Thanks, and play well, one and all.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, don't go away! I don't think Billy meant anything offensive. We welcome one and all here, especially those who have 1st hand contact with our mentor.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd chair,

I apologize if I offended you. Not trying to diss anyone here. I think you missed my point. It is truly amazing that Adam can still do what he does. It merely proves what a focused mind and a positive attitude can do even when the body starts to fail one. I was at a lesson last spring and as I waited on his patio for my turn, the screen door actually started to vibrate as he played. Incredible. I will be cancelling $300 of work, buy a plane ticket, rent a car, three nights motel, to spend three days with this incredible man. He has change my life in so many ways I can't even put it into words. Perhaps some day we can visit Bloomington at the same time and blow routine together in between lessons. Keep posting as we all strive to spread the word about this great man. Did I say incredible?
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken.

I do envy you three days in a row though. That much time with Mr. Adam will certainly get your playing up the proverbial notch or two from what I hear is already an outstanding level of performance!

Enjoy Destino days too. The horns are very nice and the #1 horn tester is pretty amazing too.

Have fun!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three days in a row is interesting. After the first lesson my playing is not the greatest. It's almost like he takes me apart that first day then puts it back together. I am really looking forward to this. It is like a religious retreat that brings my life back into focus.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how was it? I want a full report!

It was great to see you. The CD sounds really fine.

Pat
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came into this lesson playing well so he was able to take me to some more advanced concepts. Perhaps it was beacause of this that his trumpet playing was some of the best I have ever heard from him. Instead of tearing me down in the first lesson, it seemed that we started with a concept and expanded on it throughout the three lessons. The concepts were much more detailed than I have ever had, both in sound and some specific exercises to better develop the "burn" in the buccinators. Only one comment in the music part of the lesson then he closed the Charlier book and we went on. Amazing how that one comment takes on more importance when presented in that manner. Three times during this visit Mr. Adam started talking about things I had been only thinking about seconds before he brought them up. Thoughts that had nothing to do with the lesson. There is so much more there than we will ever know. I have really been into Golf In The Kingdomrecently and the correlation really struck me this time. The mystical thing. He repeated the same story to me in all three lessons. At first I thought his age was catching up, but then I suddenly realized this is a story i better be paying more attention to. He apparently had a great time at ITG and is thinking about making the trip to Thailand next year.
ljwahl

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
He apparently had a great time at ITG and is thinking about making the trip to Thailand next year.

Does anyone know for sure if Mr Adam will be attending? I'm from Asia, and would love to be able to take some lessons! Just reading the all the stuff here on the forum has helped me a great deal with my playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: