• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Connstellation 38A Short Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Conn Connstellation 38A Short Cornet Reply with quote

Anyone have an perspective on a Conn Connstellation 38A Short Cornet? I'm a "comebacker" and just looking for a nice intermediate/pro player in the $300-350 range. Seem to recall that a few years back these were well thought of. (I'm partial to Conn for nostalgic reason - played one in HS.)
Thanks,
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. I like the 1st-valve trigger (my preference), and the large-bore (.485"). It does not have the big bell, like it's brethren, but seems to sound "sweet-'n-smooth". Mouthpiece selection is important. Avoid the Trumpet-type "C" cups ... go for something with a deep "V"-cup. The build-quality is exceptional, like most Conn horns. Presently, not a "must-have" collectible, but a good buy for under $500. Go for it !

Robert Rowe -- above average Hominid
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7322761325&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

While not the best condition on the laquer, I just couldn't let it go by. I've been looking for one for a while, and with a low BIN from a solid seller, it just had to happen.
All I need now is to know whether it is a 36-A, 37-A, or 38-A, and I really won't know that until it gets here.

When I saw it came with a 12C, I knew it was kismet.
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 36A isn't a Connstelltion. I have never seen a real 36A (it's one of a too long list of Conn trumpets and cornets I would like to try out at least once), but I know some people really like them.

This one being a 1961 model, it is an early one and a very good year. It also means this could indeed be either a 37A (brass bell) or 38A (Coprion bell). As you know, 38A's from 1963 onwards (with serial numbers starting with "C" and higher) are actually 37A's: brass bell.

You probably picked yourself a very nice Connstellation, for a very reasonable price. I have seen these go for twice that.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Regards, Christine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: