• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

York Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: York Flugelhorn Reply with quote

A 1970s era York student line flugelhorn has turned up at our local auction site http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=27013913

Anyone knows how these play?

The price is a bit high, since I can get a new Norton flugel for only a couple of hundred more, which plays quite well.

Michael
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the '70's the York brand was owned by Boosey & Hawkes, who had the instruments built in either East Germany or Czecho Slovakia.
I've seen (but didn't play) one of these some time ago and I would recommend that you spend your money on a used horn by e.g. Yamaha or some other reputable brand.
Good luck!
By the way: when I see "Norton" I think of motorcycles, not horns. A local make?
riffi1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Norton are a Chinese make and imported under the Norton brand to the Australia / New Zealand market. I have had a quick look but not had the opportunity to play one. They are well priced and seem to have quite good quality workmanship.
cheers
ROD

mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Pioneer flugel, which was a copy of the Belgian De Prins flugel, likely made in eastern Europe or China. Cheap and cheerful, but played OK. Had so much fun I persuaded myself that a new flugel was in order, and got a Jupiter, which was a very nice horn indeed. Trouble was, I couldn't justify that amount of cash tied up in a second instrument for the amount of use it got, so I sold it and bought a keyboard. Still miss flugel though - it really gets the creative jazz juices flowing.

If the York is cheap enough, I think it would be fine for a casual use second instrument. Flugels are rarely sold in NZ, and prices are high. I'm checking Ebay for a yammy or olds, though my chances of getting a bargain are slim.

The Norton is sold at http://www.ozwinds.com.au/norton-flugel-p-977.html?osCsid=916771f0dbfdf3ce4eae354f0d538131 for about $US500, and is a Taiwanese rip-off of the 631. The salesman who wrote the advertising blurb is a genuine brass player that knows his stuff, so I am inclined to believe it. May be sold under another name in the US - any ideas which?

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: