• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Cleaning Que.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Cornet Cleaning Que. Reply with quote

This is my first cornet experience and now it's time to clean it out. I'm used to horns that do not have slides with springs on them so do I just pull the 1st and 3rd valve slides out? I don't want to damage the spring mechanisms so please help me not to screw up. Thanks.

Stan
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"slides with springs on them"

What kind of cornet is that? I've never seen a cornet with slides on springs. Is it a real old contraption?
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, this is the problem. I've never taken the thing apart. The slides have rings so that you can move them to tune some of the notes. There must be springs inside that move the slides when you release from the ring because the slides move in again. No, this horn is only a few years old--a Yamaha 2330II.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank wrote "What kind of cornet is that? I've never seen a cornet with slides on springs. Is it a real old contraption?"

Ah - you are obviously a trumpet man - but we will forgive you for the time being.

Lots of cornets have trigger mechanisms on the 3rd and/or 1st valve tuning slides that have springs on them.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder

Last edited by Mr. Stomvi on Fri May 06, 2005 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seth. That's a damn beautiful cornet in your pic. I sold that Sparx 4b mp that I bought from you and ended up ordering one with a NB64 rim. It's being made now.

Stan
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Oh!
Triggers! Triggers have springs! I have 1 trumpet with a trigger, (Yamaha 6340T) but it's new to me and in the repair shop at the moment. I haven't disassembled it for cleaning yet either. Out of sight, out of mind.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 2330II doesn't normally come with triggers. I suspect that this cornet is so new that it is the vacuum that sucks the slide back when he pulls them out (probably not pressing down on the valve)!

Just remove the valves first and then see if the slide "pops back" when you extend it. I'll bet it doesn't. Don't worry, be happy! It sounds like it is in "new" condition. Go ahead and take it apart.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="shastastan"]Hi Seth. That's a damn beautiful cornet in your pic. I sold that Sparx 4b mp that I bought from you and ended up ordering one with a NB64 rim. It's being made now.

Stan - take a look at the following Stomvi Master Ti cornet link

http://www.cambrass.com/mastercornet.htm

I absolutely love mine. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Only thing close IMHO (not really) is the Smith Watkins "Soloist" or the Besson "Prestige" but the Stomvi Master Ti is really in a class by itself. Too bad more people haven't seen or tried them. Unfortunately - because of the exchange rate on the Euro, they are now about $ 4700

I also love my new Sparx # 3. I feel it plays much better than the # 4 did at least for me. I'm one happy camper these days.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're off topic here, but thanks, Seth, for the link to see it up close. Wish that was "up close and personal" but swmbo would never go for $4700. Heck, I feel lucky that I was just able to get a new trumpet for $1600. Glad you found an mp that works, too. That's a wonderful feeling.

Hey everybody, if you look at Seth's link, you will see those slides. Bet his have springs inside, too.

Stan
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cornet has a trigger it will have a spring but as said earlier that model didn't come with triggers, So just hold down that slides valve and it should just come straight off. I don't think there is even a slide stop.

Yammie 2330II
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Damo. Sorry for my wording confusion about the triggers and springs, and rings. Actually there is a slide stop on the 3rd valve slide on mine-a little set screw setup similar to the one for a lyre which is also there. On mine, the large tubing, with the spit valve, is copper color. Don't know why this is. I know those slides are good for getting those notes in tune, but in many ways, I wish they weren't there.

Stan
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 2330 series cornets have been built with red-brass leadpipes in the last 15? or so years. There was a time when Yamaha had more than their share of red-rot problems and I think they switched to red brass (less zinc) to try to combat that. It makes for a more corrosion-resistant component but the leadpipe is also softer and easier to dent.

They are great little horns for a bargain price.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that they are great little horns. I got mine on ebay for $330 with nary a scratch, nib, or any defects whatsover. Same with the case. Still, if somebody gave me a horn like Seth's Stomvi, I wouldn't turn it down.
merf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a cornet that could use a cleaning. Its a Besson Soverign, it does have triggers not slides. Continuing on the original poster's question, how would I clean this, including the slides.

Merf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JMA

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an arm from the trigger to the slide, take that srew out and the arm will fall at that end (KEEP the screw safe!), the slide can then be removed and cleaned (KEEP the rubber buffer rings safe!), when re-attaching the arm to the slide you may have to put a wee bit of pressure on the trigger just to line-up the hole in the arm with the hole in the slide, be gentle with the threads, don't over-tighten. This is all you need do to remove the slides for cleaning, I wouldn't recommend removing the sprung trigger mechanism unless you need to replace the spring - a wee drop of valve oil on spring is good.

Hope this helps, John
VB3FL for borrowed flugels
and a multitude of old resurrected instruments.
JMA

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - The Stomvi is Beautiful!!!
VB3FL for borrowed flugels
and a multitude of old resurrected instruments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: