• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John Williams vs Hans Zimmer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John Williams vs Hans Zimmer
John Williams
85%
 85%  [ 35 ]
Hans Zimmer
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 41

TommySpanos918

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: John Williams vs Hans Zimmer Reply with quote

Who is a better composer?

Hans Zimmer can't even read music. He uses a computer synthesizer.

John Williams has talent and class. And unlike Zimmer his music doesn't all sound alike and use the french horns to a stupid degree.

Williams all the way!
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although.....

James Horner wrote some really pleasing stuff as well......An American Tail, Field of Dreams, Apollo 13, and Titanic immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are others.....
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too different for me to compare. williams can do just about anything.
zimmer has found a neat niche for himself, though. i like to listen to the few soundtracks i have that he wrote.

dj
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john williams rips off ralph vaughan williams to a LARGE degree, but in saying that he is one of my favourite composers.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Iguananaught
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer has written some interesting stuff. His music for True Romance was very neat. I think it was him. Hmmmmmm. Williams has shown some great writing chops lately. Saving Private Ryan was so beautiful. Very different then Star Wars.

Patrick
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the smeg is Hans Zimmer?
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
john williams rips off ralph vaughan williams to a LARGE degree

He rips off a LOT more than just RV Williams, it really bothers me when somebody makes tons of money off of somebody else's work.
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rag on J.W. for his rip offs in his star wars music.... but if you ever watch any of the documentaries on how star wars was put together you'll learn that G. Lucas was very specific in what he wanted from the sound track.

For example.... If G. Lucas is listening to the planets, and likes it... he says to John Williams.... I want this scene to sound like 'this'. So, John Williams tries to re-invent what the boss wants.
G. Lucas is very classical music savy and knows what he likes and doesn't like for his music. How can you re-invent Mars from the planets.... well... just change the rhythm, just like J.W. did.

John Williams isn't solely responsible for his music, he works very closely with the directors and they ask for specific musical qualities in their movies.
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus Badelt, Howard Shore and John Williams are definitely my favorite film score composers.
TptPlayer88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout Clifton Williams...Symphonic Dance No. 3 "Fiesta"...what a fantastic piece...Colorado All-State just played it this past April...good stuff...i really like John Williams, he composes a lot of fantastic songs. I will have to second NTlead on Klaus, and Shore. Great stuff
Mouthpiece: 3C
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be for Hanz Zimmer. John Williams wrote a lot more material and it's amazing but in the short amount of work that Zimmer has done he is astounding. His muisc touches me in more amazing ways. I find that he is similar to all those contemporary composers who always write the crap you don't want to listen to. Except in Zimmers case he uses these new styles and forms and melodies to sound good and send emotions.

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Holton ST 308 "Maynard Ferguson"
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TptPlayer88 wrote:
How 'bout Clifton Williams...Symphonic Dance No. 3 "Fiesta"...what a fantastic piece...Colorado All-State just played it this past April...good stuff...i really like John Williams, he composes a lot of fantastic songs. I will have to second NTlead on Klaus, and Shore. Great stuff

clifton was from trask, arkansas (my home state). his cousin was my high school band director. i used to see clifton williams with slicked-backed black hair, hawaiian shirt, & men-in-black shades. it looked odd back then, but fits right in now...guess he was ahead of his time.
i feel his early music was much the best of his output. he became very ill
when he lived in florida l as i recall. don't suppose i would work well if i were that sick, either.

dj
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the late Jerry Goldsmith? But who cares if Williams quotes other's music in his own, what composer hasn't? Go back as far as Monteverdi and you will hear some quotes of Josquin and others. For as long as there has been music, there has been quoting.
The King of Swing
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennio Morricone eats all those guys for breakfast and $hit$ them out to make room for lunch!
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King of Swing wrote:
Ennio Morricone eats all those guys for breakfast and $hit$ them out to make room for lunch!

I second that! Oh man, I love the guy's stuff so much. "Magic Waltz" from Legend of 1900 is my favourite waltz. BTW if anyone has the sheets for that song I'd love to see them.
badocter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
Who the smeg is Hans Zimmer?

Look here -- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001877/
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joy of John Williams' music is that it sounds fantastic without the film. The same goes for Morricone - you remove the film and it is still great stuff.

The biggest disappointment, for me, about the Lord of the Rings films was the music. Away from the film it just felt like there was something missing. With the film there it was truly fantastic stuff, but without I always felt there was something missing.

Thinking about John Williams - has anyone else got the DVD of Superman? Have you noticed the feature that allows you to remove all the dialogue from the film and just have the film with the music - it still makes perfect sense
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
Thinking about John Williams - has anyone else got the DVD of Superman? Have you noticed the feature that allows you to remove all the dialogue from the film and just have the film with the music - it still makes perfect sense

Whoa that's so cool! I'm going to go get the DVD just to do that.

<hums Superman theme> Ba, ba bu ba ba, BA BA BU!
torry011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they both have their qualities. Here are some interessting sites I found that describes them both. Some of you might find it interessting, Eban

http://www.songwriting-guide.com/hans-zimmer.html

http://www.songwriting-guide.com/john-williams.html
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread.

I think some soundtracks are memorable for their melodies, but perhaps not all soundtracks are supposed to be memorable. Maybe the purpose of some soundtracks is only to support the movie, not actually be memorable in their own right.

Of course, I remember movie soundtracks with great and memorable music and forget the others. So there.

But, what do I know?

Hmm....

John Williams

Yup. A lot of his stuff is totally derivative. He rips off Mahler, Orff, Vaughn Williams, Chopin, and the list goes on...

It's possible he was asked to at various times. Still, it is what it is.

Some of his stuff drives me up the wall. I've played "Midway March" in a bunch of ensembles over the years and I kind of hate it. The abrupt whole-step key changes or modulations with no transitions just annoy me. They're incredibly cheesy. Much of his music is.

That said, he does compose memorable stuff. Wherever he borrowed some of his material for Star Wars, it's as memorable (if not more so) than the movies. His soundtrack is the only good thing about the prequels - even if some of it is completely derived from Carmina Burana.

Also, his stuff doesn't always sound the same. "Munich, "Saving Private Ryan," and "Catch Me If You Can" all had different music things going on.

Some memorable stuff for me? The Harry Potter themes, Indy movies, Superman, Jaws, and Star Wars. It's hard for many other film composers to come up with such a list of themes.

Hans Zimmer

I've heard of the name, but I had to look up what movies he's done. After perusing his list, there's not many movies that remember the score. I remember Gladiator, but nothing about the music (and I own the movie). Crimson Tide had acclaimed soundtrack, but the only real highlight of it was the choral rendition of "Ethernal Father, Strong to Save" - not anything that Zimmer actually wrote. He also worked on the "Lion King" but Tim Rice and Elton John wrote the songs - the memorable part, he just did the incidental music. Apparently, he worked on the Pirates score, which is Ok and memorable, if hokey.

The King of Swing wrote:

Possibly. He's pretty great. He's in the same league as John Williams, for sure. He definitely notches almost anyone else - including Hans Zimmer. Look at the impressive list of stuff he's done. The length of it is incredible, not to mention some great titles and music like "the Mission" and all those spaghetti westerns.

Other soundtracks I enjoy...

- Braveheart: James Horner.
- Lord of the Rings: Howard Shore. I like some parts of it, some weren't as great as they maybe could/should have been.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Tan Dun.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: