• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

parduba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: parduba Reply with quote

hey

i just picked up a mouthpiece that i had never used before (ive had it for awhile but my teachers advised me not to use it). Well anyway i never heard of the brand before (J. Parduba & Son, Double Cup) so i tryed it out. It extended my range by about 2 whole steps! The first thing that came to my mind was this was too good to be true. If anyone else has ever used a mouthpiece like this i would appreciate it if you would tell me of any negative points of using this piece. Thanks muchly.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it really increase your range? Not the range that you can squeak out in the practice room with tight underwear and a running start, but the range you can use in a musical context in the last piece of the concert. That's your real range. My experience is that mouthpiece changes alter the former a lot more than the latter.

The next point is that range is not the whole story, or even the most important part of the story. How is your tone? Articulation? Flexibility? Endurance?
brassmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it extended my genuine range...i could play notes i usually have to work up to immeadiatly. As for the other aspects, i haven't really used it enough to tell you that but it's definitly something im going to check.
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a parduba (5* H.J.) for most of my 48 years of playing and love it. You will suffer some very serious problems if you use it and that is that everyone who sits next to you will make very bad comments about your mouthpiece, you, your heritage, etc. You will never again be taken seriousely by the self proclaimed legitimate trumpet fraternity. Nobody will consider you for orchestral work. Your self esteem will take a nose dive and because of that you will have to go to therapy on a regular basis. You will probably end up alone in life, dejected by society and shunned by all decent folk. The up side of playing one of these however is that if it works for you you will really love it. It tends to make your sound very bright and does FACILITATE ease in the upper register. You cannot overblow this mouthpiece or it will cut (choke) off on you. The important thing with these mouthpieces is that you have to find the right size for you, not only diameter but wether you like the reg parduba or the shallower "Harry James" version. If you play the wrong one for you you will not like it. Go to the parduba web site and check out the sizes. My 5* is equal to about a 10 1/2. I have some other custom mouthpieces by Giardinelli and I notice that my articulation is faster (especially multiple tounging) on a more conventionel mouthpiece however I can keep up or surpass most other players on the parduba cause I practised my ass off to bring up my weak spots. Basically I use it for most of what I play cause it works for me. To be honest, if I played orchestral work, etc I wouldn't use it. Also I have noticed that some of the people that make the Parduba, ever since his sons sold the copyright. do not cut the second cup correctly. They make the opening to the second cup too big and it ruins the effect of the mouthpiece. I have several of these paperweights. Try them and see for yourself. I think it's one of those either you love it or hate it things.
insidious_monk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skootchy wrote:
I have played a parduba (5* H.J.) for most of my 48 years of playing and love it. You will suffer some very serious problems if you use it and that is that everyone who sits next to you will make very bad comments about your mouthpiece, you, your heritage, etc. You will never again be taken seriousely by the self proclaimed legitimate trumpet fraternity. Nobody will consider you for orchestral work. Your self esteem will take a nose dive and because of that you will have to go to therapy on a regular basis. You will probably end up alone in life, dejected by society and shunned by all decent folk.

jesus...

Bach Stradavarius ML 37, 1981
Yamaha YTR6310Z

Monette B3
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skootch,

That was great! Histerical... and soooooooooo true!

I occasionally pull out my #8, biggest diameter. Love it.
The real shallow "cheaters" shut me down after only minutes.
Amazing range for 5 minutes, then nothing. Nadda, Ziltch!
Not so with my Parduba... I just keeps going and going...

Skooth may be right about what monk just quoted.
Maybe we can get the makers to disguise them!

Your Friend, JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Tom (an occasional cheater) in Texas
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my monette stuff to be honest.
I also used top play a parduba mouthpiece.
I found it to be good and got quite an old fashioned sound. i used it on my old narrow bore trumpet in search of the 1930's dance band sound.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I found it to be good and got quite an old fashioned sound. i used it on my old narrow bore trumpet in search of the 1930's dance band sound.

That Parduba mouthpiece and old fashioned sound made millions for Harry James!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
GordonH wrote:

That Parduba mouthpiece and old fashioned sound made millions for Harry James!

Yes, I found the parduba actually gave quite a big sound so I switched to a 10.5c bach for that purpose.
A very thin sound. Put a straight mute in and you are back in the 30's.
Its a trumpet from that period as well which helps:

Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
eshallx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Parduba Reply with quote

I used both a 5 and a 4.5 double cup parduba, for about a year combined. They did extend my range by about two whole steps, and I felt like I had more control. However, my range stayed there for the whole time, no improvement. I recently switched to a Laskey 80c (like a bach 1c) with a 24 throat and my range and control did not shrink back, in fact they improved. I found that the parduba sounded thin and pinched no matter where I played it. This may be just because I'm strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: