• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

correctly breathing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagnscooob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: correctly breathing Reply with quote

i was on the phone with charley davis and i told him i was working out of Claude Gordon's Physical Approach and he siad that some information in it could mislead me. I asked which and he replied the breathing, he said that lifting the chest up and keeping the chest up can only cause tension. Although I dont move my shoulders, i didnt mention that to him i thought it was obvious.

I dont think hes wrong, but I didnt have time to ask him how to properly breathe and thats something that surely would take a long time to master.

So i ask you now, what is the way that Bill Adam (or Charley Davis) teaches breathing? and beyond that, is there a CORRECT way to breathe to play trumpet?

(btw i talked to one of my friends today he said he doesnt LIFT his chest, but it does expand. is there a difference? is it just the way we describe it? or does LIFTING actually imply something negative?)
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the correct way... is as naturally and as freely as possible?

Check out the DVD THE BREATHING GYM

It has a lot of very intense/rigorous work out excersises for breathing. Of course you wouldn't breathe for your instrument this intensely, but it is a tool to develop the develop the skill of moving a lot of air, controlling it, as relaxed and as natural as possible.

Great DVD
shagnscooob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well breathing as naturally and freely as possible wont supply enough air i dont think. not for me at least. i need to develop my lungs to be able to supply huge amounts of air, but freely and naturally.

the question is HOW

(im gonna check out that dvd thanks haha)
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question...

the breathing gym is the best place to develop that skill...anything else is second rate.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good teacher is first choice.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Pat's basic principles.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon's writings never say to tense your chest. He says to stand erect with good posture and your chest up, just like a soldier. So many people slouch and slump these days that yes, you are gonna feel muscles being worked and they are going to develope. If you stand up straight and breath in you feel air in your lungs, not some imaginary air-space behind your belly button. The muscles of the torso are activated and you can play with power and an energized sound. Nothing tense about it. Read Clarke's autobiography and see how much the lifestyle of his day differs with yours. People were much more physical in their day to day routine than most of us today.

I just realized this is in the Bill Adam forum. I don't want to argue against any Adam principles, and I certainly don't discount anything Mr. Davis has to say. Just arrived here from the Home page and thought I'd make a point . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Pat's Principles and the article Charley wrote here:

http://www.charlescolin.com/nybc/belcanto.htm

Note that Charley emphasizes the importance of tone. You need to take a big comfortable breath and blow it freely into the instrument (it's that simple!), and have your mind focussed on the sound you wish to make. I can easily hear the pitch I want but I have more trouble hearing a clear trumpet sound in my head. When I can, there is an instant change and all the mechanics begin to work easily, including breathing.

As an aside, I read the list of Principles and the article Charley wrote over and over again to keep it all in my head so I don't slide back into thinking of mechanics.

You are close to Charley's house - get over there and get some lessons!

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
shagnscooob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djm6701 wrote:
Read Pat's Principles and the article Charley wrote here:

http://www.charlescolin.com/nybc/belcanto.htm

Note that Charley emphasizes the importance of tone. You need to take a big comfortable breath and blow it freely into the instrument (it's that simple!), and have your mind focussed on the sound you wish to make. I can easily hear the pitch I want but I have more trouble hearing a clear trumpet sound in my head. When I can, there is an instant change and all the mechanics begin to work easily, including breathing.

As an aside, I read the list of Principles and the article Charley wrote over and over again to keep it all in my head so I don't slide back into thinking of mechanics.

You are close to Charley's house - get over there and get some lessons!

Already have one scheduled
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to record your lesson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: