• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Section

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Section Reply with quote

Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Trumpet Players

Start-End________Name

2012-Current_______[url=]Thomas Hooten[/url]
1999-2012_________Donald Green
1972-1999_________Thomas Stevens
1951-1982_________Robert DiVall
1950-1951_________Lester Remsen
1947-1950_________John Clyman
1945-1947_________Benjamin Klatzkin
1944-1945_________Howard Fenimore
1931-1944_________Vladimir Drucker
1925-1931_________Benjamin Klatzkin
1919-1925_________Vladimir Drucker

Web Site: Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Players

Current roster for the 2012-2013 Season:
[url=]Thomas Hooten – Principal Trumpet[/url]
Christopher Still - 2nd Trumpet
James Wilt - Associate Principal
[url=]Michael Myers[/url]

Thomas Hooten.......................James Wilt..............................Michael Myers.........................Christopher Still

Reference for this information is the Los Angeles Philharmonic Archives, provided by Barbara Moroncini.

Return to the Table of Contents
for the Project:
Historical Trumpet Sections of
Major Symphony Orchestras

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:46 pm; edited 14 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Articles about the Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Players:

Orchestra Section Profile: The Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Section
by Murray Greig (January 2005 ITG Journal)

Thomas Stevens
Thomas Stevens Biography

Robert DiVall
Saluting Adolph Herseth During His 50th Orchestral Season and a List of Other Outstanding Trumpet Careers
by Norman Schweikert and Keith Clark (February 1998 ITG Journal)
There is a photo of Robert DiVall in this article.

Vladimir Drucker
"Trumpet Players of the Cleveland Orchestra 1918-1993: An Addendum"
by Mary Thornton, Page 55 (December 1994 ITG Journal)

"The Trumpet Players of the San Francisco Symphony 1911-1995"
by Stefan Cooper (February 1996 ITG Journal)
A picture of Vladimir Drucker is available on Page 38 in this article.

Willi Brandt Tribute Web Page
This site mentions that Vladimir Drucker studied with Brandt.

Benjamin Klatzkin
"The Trumpet Players of the San Francisco Symphony 1911-1995"
by Stefan Cooper (February 1996 ITG Journal)
A picture of Benjamin Klatzkin is available on Page 38 in this article.

Lester Remsen
Lester Remsen was Principal Trumpet of the Buffalo Philharmonic from 1947-1950

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: derek reaban on 2004-08-26 16:11 ]</font>

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these pictures at Thomas Stevens’ website

Thomas Stevens with Pierre Boulez

Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Section (1967)
Robert DiVall, Irving Bush, Thomas Stevens, Mario Guarneri

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Significant Recordings of the Los Angeles Philharmonic

An Alpine Symphony, Zubin Mehta and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

My favorite recording of Strauss' Eine Alpensinfonie is the one by the Los Angeles Philharmonic from 1976, conducted by Zubin Mehta. I'm amazed at the power of this music. I am literally moved to tears every time I reach track 11 (Gefahrvolle Augenblicke Auf dem Gipfel). The power of the music is equally matched by the power of the orchestra. And it's more of a gentle strength, with no forcing or raucousness. I will have to say that the bass trombone player absolutely captivates my attention with his sound. His sound is so present and resonant through the entire piece that it grabs me, shakes me, and says, "listen up!" (Especially in track 11). The brass chords are so balanced with his amazing sound cutting through the orchestra.

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-08-26 15:53 ]
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Thanks for putting in the time for everyone's benefit!!!
Handguard once believed to be used by Arban
$10,000 Stoneline mute bought on eBay
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I just heard the LA Phil recording of Mahler 5 with Mehta from '77...

Gorgeous playing!

I've got a question for you Derek - your list shows 2 principal trumpet players for that period (Tom Stevens and Robert DiVall) - any idea who might be playing first in this recording?

Cheers,

Jack
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

I'm guessing Robert DiVall. Maybe Mzony or johntpt would know?
bftrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say with certainty but I believe that it is Tom Stevens playing principal trumpet on the LA Phil Mahler 5 with Zubin Mehta.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say it sounds like Tom Stevens, but I don't know Robert DiVall's playing at all...

Whoever it is sounds fantastic.
Ralph Sauer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I would add some information to this topic before I loose any more brain cells. Concerning the Mahler 5th, Tom Stevens played 1st on movements 1 & 2. After those movements were recorded, he had some kind of "around the house" accident and banged up his lip. As I remember, he was out of commission for a few weeks. Bob DiVall played 1st on movements 3 & 5. Another curiosity is that I played 1st trombone on movements 1 & 2 and Byron Peebles played 1st on 3 & 5.

As to the Alpine Symphony, Bob Divall played 1st trumpet. In an earlier post, Derek wrote--"I will have to say that the bass trombone player absolutely captivates my attention with his sound." The truth is it was me on third trombone with an 88H (adding the edge and sizzle) and Jeff Reynolds on fourth with a Minnick G-contra (adding the body and tone). Frankenstein? Frankenbone?

Bob DiVall was a fine gentleman with unbelievable accuracy, a sweet, lyrical style, and he NEVER forced. All qualities to strive for.
Cheers,
Ralph
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph,

Thanks so much for taking the time to contribute on the Trumpet Herald. There's nothing like getting the information directly from the source! I knew there was something very special about that low trombone sound, and now I know why!

Years ago I was very fortunate to hear a master class that you gave at ASU (although I wasn't a student there). What a treat to hear you play in that environment!

On a separate note, I played with John Lofton for quite a few years with a brass quintet in Phoenix. I know how excited he was to get to join your section this past season!

Well, thanks again for your insights. It really adds to topics like this when lots of people get involved and contribute.

Take care,
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Sauer wrote:
I thought that I would add some information to this topic before I loose any more brain cells. Concerning the Mahler 5th, Tom Stevens played 1st on movements 1 & 2. After those movements were recorded, he had some kind of "around the house" accident and banged up his lip. As I remember, he was out of commission for a few weeks. Bob DiVall played 1st on movements 3 & 5. Another curiosity is that I played 1st trombone on movements 1 & 2 and Byron Peebles played 1st on 3 & 5.

As to the Alpine Symphony, Bob Divall played 1st trumpet. In an earlier post, Derek wrote--"I will have to say that the bass trombone player absolutely captivates my attention with his sound." The truth is it was me on third trombone with an 88H (adding the edge and sizzle) and Jeff Reynolds on fourth with a Minnick G-contra (adding the body and tone). Frankenstein? Frankenbone?

Bob DiVall was a fine gentleman with unbelievable accuracy, a sweet, lyrical style, and he NEVER forced. All qualities to strive for.
Cheers,
Ralph

Thanks a lot Ralph!
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. sauer-
i was wondering if we might be able to get some insight as to who played what on the mahler 3 with zubin from i believe '78 londonDecca. btw, your 1st mvmt. solo sounds fanastic. if you could answer the same question for the planets recording as well.
also, were you in the orchestra when the LAphil recorded with Leinsdorf a couple of albums on the Sheffield Labs label?? if so, i'm guessing that was Divall playing principal? btw, is mario playing 2nd on these recordings?
it's a real privelege to have you posting here and i look foward to reading your response!
Ralph Sauer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the times we have played Mahler 3rd, Tom Stevens never played the posthorn solo. Bob DiVall played it on the Mehta recording and Don Green did the solo on the later Salonen recording. Stevens always played the 1st trumpet part.

The Planets was done before my time, so I don't know for sure who played what.

I was on the two Leinsdorf direct to disc recordings (Wagner and Prokofiev) however. The trumpet section for both sessions was Bob DiVall, Irving Bush, Tony Plog and Malcolm McNab. I don't remember the reason both Stevens and Guarneri were not playing. I do remember the thrill of Bob diVall playing the high C at the end of the Romeo & Juliet. Direct to disc didn't allow any splicing, so we were all holding our breath to see if he would really go for it. He did, and the result was spectacular!!
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Sauer wrote:

I was on the two Leinsdorf direct to disc recordings (Wagner and Prokofiev) however. The trumpet section for both sessions was Bob DiVall, Irving Bush, Tony Plog and Malcolm McNab. I don't remember the reason both Stevens and Guarneri were not playing. I do remember the thrill of Bob diVall playing the high C at the end of the Romeo & Juliet. Direct to disc didn't allow any splicing, so we were all holding our breath to see if he would really go for it. He did, and the result was spectacular!!

I was a freshman in college the first time I heard that recording. I didn't know whether to quit right then or there or what - probably my favorite high C ever recorded. Huge, vibrant - it just filled the whole room.

J
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Bruno Walter Mahler 9 Columbia Symphony recording is actually the LA Philharmonic. I've never heard more beautiful playing than that by diVall in the Burleske. When this was first released on 33 RPM it came with a rehearsal recording.

Larry Malin
Ralph Sauer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 98% sure that DiVall was using an Olds B-flat cornet for the Romeo & Juliet. That makes the high C even more amazing.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles Philharmonic Trumpet Section

Season.......Principal Tpt......2nd Trumpet.............3rd Trumpet...4th / Assoc. Princ
2007-2008....Donald Green.......Christopher Still...........Boyde Hood.....James Wilt
2006-2007....Donald Green.......Kevin Brown (Acting)...Boyde Hood.....James Wilt
2005-2006....Donald Green.......Kevin Brown (Acting)...Boyde Hood.....James Wilt
2004-2005....Donald Green.......Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....James Wilt
2003-2004....Donald Green.......Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....James Wilt
2002-2003....Donald Green.......Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....James Wilt
2001-2002....Donald Green.......Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Vacant (Subs)
2000-2001....Donald Green.......Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Vacant (Subs)
1999-2000....Donald Green.......Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Vacant (Subs)
1998-1999....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1997-1998....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1996-1996....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1995-1996....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1994-1995....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1992-1994....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1992-1993....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1991-1992....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1990-1991....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1989-1990....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1988-1989....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1987-1988....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1986-1987....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1985-1986....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1984-1985....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1983-1984....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green
1982-1983....Thomas Stevens...Rob Roy McGregor.......Boyde Hood.....Donald Green

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total
castonandon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: L.A. Phil-1977-Mahler 5-BOB DIVALL!!!! Reply with quote

[quote="JackD"]WOW, I just heard the LA Phil recording of Mahler 5 with Mehta from '77...

Gorgeous playing!

I've got a question for you Derek - your list shows 2 principal trumpet players for that period (Tom Stevens and Robert DiVall) - any idea who might be playing first in this recording?

Cheers,

Jack[/quote]
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is definitly tom stevens playing principal.. from what mario guarneri told me, who btw played 2nd on this recording, this was the way Mehta wanted it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: