• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fellow Caruso students-

I've been doing the Caruso studies quite regularly for about a 4-5month period (virtually every day). Although I have noticed improvement with endurance and focus, and perhaps consistency, I have'nt really seen any actual gains in range, either while doing the exercises or away from them. However, I think the range that I have already is perhaps more solid than it was.

This brings me to my question: Should I be doing range exercises outside of the Caruso studies to improve range, or can I depend on these studies to eventually improve the range as it has other things in my playing, if I just stick with it long enough?

thanks for any thoughts or advice.

rudas
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pretty much in the same boat as you. I have gained a WHOLE lot of endurance, and my tone is much better, but my range really hasn't improved. I have been doing Irons outside of Caruso to try and get my range to go up again.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some progress with my range using Caruso, and I have been using it for approximately four months, too. The key with range is “patience” as one of trumpet teachers, Laurie Frink, pointed out to me. In other words, it cannot be there overnight. You should not need to work on other range exercises after Caruso, according to her.

I hit a double b my first lesson with her and continued to hit them after that lesson, too. I even hit some double c’s in practice, but I was having problems with my a’s lately. It is funny how I can play b’s and c’s in practice, but miss the double a’s. Laurie told me to play the a’s more softly to hear the pitch and then we will work on the air later. This has seemed to work. Before studying Caruso, I had rarely hit any double a’s (and I mean rarely). My double g’s were fairly consistent.

Yes, I believe that the real progress with range is that my upper register is stronger. But, I can also play notes (though not as strong that have never came out of my horn before Caruso).

I can hear it when I am playing lead trumpet on Buddy Rich charts in a jazz orchestra. I guess that I like to work with range outside of Caruso by playing lead trumpet with the recordings of Count Basie, Buddy Rich, and Mel Lewis.

The playing along with Count Basie and Thad Jones charts is something that I had found from a helpful posting from Pat Harbison (PH) on “where can I get charts?” He recommended the two publications from Kendor of lead trumpet parts with what “Sammy Nestico did for the Basie band” (from the recording “Basie Straight Ahead”) and Thad Jones (mostly from the recording, “Consummation“). I work on these after all Caruso exercises are completed and have worked on jazz patterns, modes, and articulations.

Again, I am working on my range with patience, and the range that I had before is getting stronger. Hitting high notes is great, but I focus on how strong they are. So, is your range stronger than it was before Caruso? Yes. This is progress. This sets you up for adding higher notes to your register in the future. So, stick with it. I know that I will stick with it.

I hope that I did not I did not misinterpret anything that Laurie Frink has told me. If I have, please fill them and me in Laurie.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's try this again! Trumpetdiva1, I hear ya! I, like the others have experieced a increase in endurance and tone. The range has not really increased but at least more important to me ( and sounds like the same for you), the quality of the upper register has greatly increased! Its cool that you're studying with Laurie and I look forward to further posts of your lessons and achievements with her! Like you, I'm taking my time with it. Not only do I want it to sound good but want it to be consistant! Best to ya' and keep us posted on your progress!!!
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Pedro! I appreciate your kind words. I guess that we are all in the same boat here and need encouragement at times to continue to progress.

I am happy to share my experiences with the forum. I will keep you posted on my progress and hope that you keep us posted on your progress, too, Pedro. Best of luck to you and remember that saying by Caruso about looking for improvement in percentages.

---
---
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After six to seven months of Caruso, my range has not only become stronger, but I finally nailed two A’s over high C last night during a jazz orchestra gig. I did not plan on putting them in there; it just happened. This was after playing numerous F and G's over high C in the gig. Now I am gaining some range. I think that the A over high C is one of the hardest notes to hit on trumpet, too.

---
---
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Janell!! Yeah, the "A's" used to be a bit thin sounding for me but have become a lot more solid with a good core! Not to mention "feels" and "sounds" great intonation-wise!! Keep killin' em girl!!
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro, You keep killin’ em, too. It also feels better to me and the intonation is really there. Those high notes do not even seem or sound as high as they used to. I can now hit the double d’s on the interval exercises (used to be double c’s). Let’s both go for the triple register. Why not? Thanks for your support and good luck to you, Pedro! Caruso works! Yes!

---
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: