• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First note of the day.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: First note of the day. Reply with quote

Just out of curiousuty, do you play the same "first note of the day" everyday?

I just realized that the first note I play almost every day is a second-line G.

I wonder if that has any physical or mental influences on my entire range. In other words, would changing my first note of the day to a C change anything about my playing or my range?

I'm curious what y'all think?

Also I'm curious what the most common "first note of the day" is?

Joe Lewis
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I have done, for a long time, the Carmine Caruso 6 note exercise to begin the day. I recently started dabbling with other approaches, mainly because most of my students don't take the CC stuff seriously, whether in HS or college. Simplicity sometimes is misunderstood for being so easy that it generates an "I don't have to pay attention" attitude.

Pat Hession's book " Hession's Sessions" starts off with the CC 6 note exercise after the initial breathing routine. Cat Anderson did the 20 minute G. Pops M. has a thing with lip set point starting on higher pitches, and Lew Soloff has suggested some of this in the past also in some publications that I have read.

I have reversed the CC exercise in the past and started on C and worked down to G and Back uo to C. I know that Laurie Frink and John Mc Neil have written the Flexus book that incorporates some of this, but I'm not exactly sure how the exercises are, since I haven't seen the book.

Pete
Podunkparte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also start out just playing a G, but I think I'm gonna look into finding a good everyday solid warmup... any suggestions?
Lawler TL6-1A #822 -Satin silver w/ polished trim
Bach TR200 -OUCH!

Monette B6
Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1
Bach 3C
Schilke 14A4A
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone plays an Ab as their first note everyday. I might just start doing that to be different.

Seriously, I'm sure some people start out on low C (or maybe lower.) You would think that doing something everyday would have an effect on your playing.

I've always wondered if that first note subconciously sets what you think is your middle range. So if you started out a fourth higher maybe your upper register would start to expand.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually moved from starting on g to Ab then A in college and it worked quite well for the reasons you state. Don't know why I ever stopped. Bobby Burns was starting on C in the staff. If only his success were that simple!
Currently I start w/ extended pedals.

Ray
cornetmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second line G as well. I normally start my day with an exercise that I got from a Vacchiano (god rest) masterclass a while back.
Gray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just realized that the first note I play almost every day is a second-line G.

Your in good company....Arturo Sandoval does too. Doesn't seem to be too much wrong with his range.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a second line G and have for years. My teachers were always of the thought that it was at the middle of our "flex" to begin the day and start right. I had one teacher that was very encouraging in regards to playing the G and then get things moving upward as quickly as possible to not get stucki in the bottom of your register for an extended time period. Thats a really good question for the forum.
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a first space F#. Doesn't everybody start with Line 13 of Clarke's First Study?
Leedorham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play "Home on the Range" in B-flat (starting on written g) before I go into any routine at all. This really has nothing to do with anything I've been formally taught. It's just something comfortable that gets me going. It was the first song I ever played for a chair audition.
Valve Oil: chicken fat & kerosene
Dr. Stu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second line G too. Couple of long whole notes, then half notes chromatically down to C#, then quarter notes back up to second line G. No idea why I do this, but since I've been trying to practice at least a little (even if it's just 15 minutes) every day, I noticed that I do this.

-Stu
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skishhhh wrote:
Always a first space F#. Doesn't everybody start with Line 13 of Clarke's First Study?

NO

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High C, then dbl G. Then I work my way down and back up in the open position. Then a nice fat pedal C that shakes the house!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with an F# also
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget which study exactly it is that I do, because I havent opened that book for so long. But I do remember that it is number 38.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the notes of the Hardenberger master class that were posted some time ago. He believes how you start each day is crtically important and affects your playing for the rest of the day. As I recall, he recommends starting on the 2nd line G with only a breath attack and bending the note ala James Stamp to get the lips and air working together from the beginning, and then working your way down chromatically. That G is probabaly a good note to start on because your lips are relaxed and you can get and hear a good resonant sound on it if things are working well.
Dave Converse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
High C, then dbl G. Then I work my way down and back up in the open position. Then a nice fat pedal C that shakes the house!

Well, that's two of us "weird-chop" types. I start on high C, ppp and slur up to dubba C, also ppp. Then I drop down to G2 and do lip bends on each open partial up to Hi C, attempting to create a "portamento" effect as I ascend. If the slur from a sharp Bb up to a flat Hi C is under good control, I can easily slur up and slam a big dubba C. Then some double pedals, and I'm ready for battle. Whole thing takes about 1-1.5 minutes. The key for me is finding proper and efficient lip position. I think a lot of "warming up" I used to do was nothing more than a prolonged finding of that position, so I just cut to the "chase."
richiebee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first space F for me...

R.
Yamaha YFH-631G, GR E62FL
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the consensus? Does the first note of the day establish or affect your outlook on range?

I always start out playing a second-line G with a breath attack, but I don't think it would be any big deal for me to start out with a third-space C. I'll try that for a few weeks and see if there is any difference for me.

Joe Lewis
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what's the consensus? Does the first note of the day establish or affect your outlook on range?

I am not quite disciplined to do the same exact thing each and every day. More often than not, I start with 2nd line G and then slur into expanding intervals all in one breath, i.e. G, G#,F#,A,F,Bb,E,B,Eb,C. Hold the C and strive for fullness and a ringing, pure tone, well supported. Other times, I do the same thing, but start on C and expand from there. Of course I do other things to get started from time to time, but above is more often than not.

To answer the question, it does make a significant difference to me if I warm up or start too low. If I gently get into the upper register right from the start, it is much easier to keep the closed setting and not have to work so hard later in the practice session. I can always relax enough to get low, so I try to warm up gently pushing things higher. Like I said, it really makes a difference in my playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: