• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Weird vibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adonnadon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Weird vibration Reply with quote

Okay….here’s sort of an update, but I’m really seeking advice. All you brainy, physics-minded guys……please think this through and help me out if you can!

Quick recap (skipping the gory details, unless you want to read them):

http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38510

I have had porcelain crowns put on my top two front teeth due to an injury to those teeth 6 years ago. I was playing professionally at the time of the injury and would like to have the opportunity to play on a professional level again. I’ve known that the first step would be to crown those teeth, then re-evaluate from there what the future holds for my playing. That’s where I am now.

The crowns are there and they look great. The dentist understood about getting the crowns just right (no bulk) for trumpet playing and has done a beautiful job. The problem is that those teeth vibrate every now and then. They are touching slightly and when I play certain pitches, I guess my lips cause them to make a little buzzing sound. It’s so frustrating!! I’ve gone in twice and he has carefully “sanded” a little between the teeth but it is still not enough. I go in again on Tuesday (the last time before my Christmas Eve gig…yikes!)

At this point, I have two choices: Have him sand more off until they don’t touch at all, ruin all his beautiful work and have an all-star spitting gap….or have him slightly bond the two teeth together so they don’t vibrate. I need to add that I’ve been playing a little for the past 6 years with the two original teeth bonded together without any problems. I just didn’t want to try to depend on those teeth long term, as they needed frequent re-bonding.

I worried that with these crowns I would have to learn to play all over again, but that's not happening at all. Basically the only thing in my way right now is this stupid vibration. I know that's what it is because I can place a little piece of waxed floss between those teeth and it stops. I’d play with the floss there, but it unravels after a few minutes….I’d hate to inhale it!!

Any thoughts on this situation would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

-Adonna
Rubberband

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity....does the vibration of those teeth affect your tone??? Well i'm no dentist...but from what you descibe bonding sound like a pretty good option. Is there such thing as a more permanant bond?? Maybe then you wouldn't need rebonding so frequently.
I hope your problem will be solved soon.
All the best..
adonnadon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does affect the tone. I'm going along with everything fine, then all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it happens. Sounds like a mesquito is flying around in my tone. It's not a double buzz...I've heard those...this is different. People say my tone doesn't change, there's just this extra noise all of a sudden.

Bonding is the direction I'm leaning, although I hate to have something that I'll have to maintain and/or worry about coming loose. Plus, to bond on porcelain, he has to roughen up the surface to apply the material, basically trashing all his hard work. I know he'll be bummed if that's what I decide to do.

Thanks so much for writing! I'll update as things progress along...

-Adonna
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it would seem to me that bonding them on the back would be the best option. But I can't really relate to your situation at all, so thats just an in the dark opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: