• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jackie Gleason

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know if any one knows who played lead trumpet in the Jackie Gleason Band. The recording of Laura is great.
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely it was Buddy Hackett. Sounds like him on the "Romantic Moods of Jackie Gleason" CD.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-21 21:45, Scootsky wrote:
More than likely it was Buddy Hackett. Sounds like him on the "Romantic Moods of Jackie Gleason" CD.

Uhhh...Bobby Hackett.
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Robert Leo Hackett indeed. Ever get fat fingers while banging on the ole keyboard???
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-21 17:52, gustav wrote:
I want to know if any one knows who played lead trumpet in the Jackie Gleason Band. The recording of Laura is great.

Do you mean "lead", or Gleason's favorite soloist. Gleason himself was a big fan of the trumpet/cornet and on occasion messed around with it from time to time. His favorite solo player was the very mellow Bobby Hackett. The two had a long recording relationship. But the lead player on his old tv show and on the numerous recordings that Gleason produced whould be interesting to know. I was very young and had not yet adopted the trumpet, and was always wowed each week to hear the opening moments of Gleason's hip and bluesy tv show theme that featured a trumpet with orchestra playing a simple but effective chromatic figure. Very cool. But I don't think that was Hackett. It should be noted too, that these shows were always live and never edited. The tv audiences saw these shows litterally as they were happening, including the music.
Larry Smithee

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2002-11-22 19:55 ]
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pee Wee Erwin maybe???
psalt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my ear, it sounded like either Gozzo or Frank Beach.
BengeBoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the library the other day and I came across a CD of theme music from the first 50 years of CBS television. I checked it out and listened. I was great to hear the theme music from so many great shows.

The theme from the Jackie Gleason show is on the CD. I hadn't heard it in years. I fondly recall watching that show with my dad.

I was suprised to read in the liner notes that the theme was composed by Jackie Gleason. Was he a musician? Did he play an instrument? Did he compose any other music?

Tim

Burbank Benge 3x
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gleason did write allot of the music on his albums. I thought everyone knew that! (kidding) I don't think he played but a little piano, which makes it all the more amazing.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hoel, who recently retired to the mountains of Western North Carolina, played trumpet with the Jackie Gleason band also. He taught one semester at Western Carolina University while the regular trumpet teacher, Dr. P. Bradley Ulrich, took a sabbatical. He knows his stuff when it comes to commercial and lead playing.
mustbflat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the vote that it might be Bobby Hackett. He played for quite a while on the Jackie Gleason show I think. I had the good fortune of hearing him play live when I was in Junior High just a year or two before he passed away. He had incredible control of the instrument and was more of a melodic, "sweet" player, not really overpowering, as I remember. My father also introduced me to him backstage after the show. He told me that he practiced more than 6 hours each day to play the way he did. When you tell that to a 7th grade trumpet player who also likes to play baseball that's kind of a turnoff! Imagine if I had started practicing 6 hours a day back then! Where would I be today!

Anyway, it's not too late. I'm off to the horn!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who the players were, but they sure did a great job. I really enjoy the music. I wish I could still hear some of those great tunes and bands today...
joetriscari
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...The lead trumpet player was Vincent (Vinnie) Tanno..
Just recently passed away...
Joe Triscari
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Just wondering if you're related to the famous trumpet player and session player Ray Triscari?
Larry Smithee
joetriscari
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am.....
slip0106
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe (again),

Vinnie Tanno was really something. I recently heard a recording of a Vinnie Tanno band in Miami (old recordng) with Al Porcino on lead trpt ... smokin' !!!

Michael
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie Gleason loved music and conducted his string orchestras which made those lovely recordings in the 1950s. They are now available on CD. Bobby Hackett was a featured trumpet/cornet soloist on some of those. Gleason's haunting theme song, "Melancholy Serenade", is one of the selections on the CD "How Sweet It Is" by the Jackie Gleason Velvet Brass. (EMI-Capitol RE 2111-2)This is an incredible all brass orchestra recording from April 9, 1957. It was only the third stereo recording done by Capitol Records (the first being "Stan Kenton in Hi-Fi" and then Nat King Cole's "Love Is The Thing.") Toots Mondello solos on alto sax while the brass is an absolute study in perfection! "Melancholy Serenade" makes me wonder whatever happened to vibrato? That song would lose its soul without that big, fat trumpet vibrato.

When Gleason did his live Saturday night variety show from Miami Beach, Florida in the 60s (remember the opening? "LIVE from Miami Beach- It's The Jackie Gleason Show!" then orchestra begins "Melancholy Serenade") he would load a train in New York City with the entire cast and production crew and head south. It was one big party all the way down and all the way back to New York. Jackie even hired a Dixieland band to entertain everyone on the train trip!!! He was especially fond of Dixieland jazz.

So many great shows were televised live and had such fabulous orchestras- kids today have no concept of the magnitude of live music 40 and 50 years ago. Television may have been in its infancy in the 50s, but IMHO it had a lot more class (and brass!)

Jackie Gleason will always be one of my very favorite entertainers because he was a guy who really knew how to have a good time. "How sweet it is!"
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides his comedic and musical talents he was also an excellent golfer and a world class pool player. The man was a phenomenal talent who seemed to excell at anything he put his mind to while really having a good time.

One of my heros!
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Reasoner did a "Sixty Minutes" interview with Jackie Gleason in the billiard room of Gleason's home many years ago. The last question asked was "Why do they call you 'The Greatest'?" Gleason replied, "You just saw me shoot pool, didn't you?" He really did excell at everything he tried. (BTW, for the younger readers, Jackie was 'The Greatest' long before Ali claimed that title!)
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Goodwill, I came across one of Jackie Gleason's mood music albums that had an interesting liner note.

Quote:
Wikipedia says: "Gleason could not read or write music; he was said to have conceived melodies in his head and described them vocally to assistants who transcribed them into musical notes." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Gleason#Musical_work

There is also

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: