• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting braces off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzLifeUp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Getting braces off Reply with quote

Hey, I'm getting my braces off tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone else had braces and got them off. I don't know what will happen when I get them off or how it will effect my playing... hopefully it will be easier to play the trumpet but... i really don't know and i'm kind of worried.
Mio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your braces off will definitely effect your playing. Unfortunately, the Trumpet is one of the worst (if not THE worst) instruments to get braces put on and taken off. It won't be nearly as severe as the transition from no braces to braces, but it will still definitely take some time to recover. When you do recover, your range will probably be higher than before.

My recommendation is to lots of long tones when you get them off. It helps you adjust to your new teeth. Congratulations on almost getting your braces off.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably sound "fuzzy" for a while. I did, a few of my friends did.

It takes a few weeks to get readjusted, but everyone I have heard the before and after of, the after is as good or better within a few weeks.

Just try to play a little bit every day and let your body adapt...

Last edited by CRoberts8 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JazzLifeUp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... i hope it turns out okay then. I really love the trumpet, and hopefully i won't suck to much when i get them off.
dduncan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I went through braces. But I do remember that there was a huge difference in the feel.

Since the hardware is missing, you'll find that you have to go through a period where you refocus the muscles of your embouchure. I remember doing a lot of low lip slurs. These exercises were very helpful in making this transition period as short as possible.

Whatever level of playing you have reached, be prepared for a step backwards. The danger is always to get frustrated and put the horn away. However, if you can look at this transition period as a building period where you can work on some fundamentals (beautiful long tones, tounging, smooth lip slurs, etc.) in several short practices sessions (10 or 15 minutes) throughout the day. As your endurance and strength comes back, add more time to your practice session(s).

Remember, you have to crawl before you walk and you have to walk before you run. It's just difficult to crawl when you want to sprint.

Blessings in your transition.

Dean
gillie89
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too had to make some adjustments after the braces came off. I think the advice about long tones and slurs is good advice.

As to what to expect:

Consider that if you played before braces and your teeth were pretty crooked or you had other major issues, you adapted to that and figured out what worked.

Then you got braces and while you were adapting to the braces, your teeth slowly, imperceptibly, were realigned. You figured out what worked under those difficult conditions.

Now the braces come off and you have newly aligned teeth and no metal in your mouth. Now you will need to adapt again. But you will be able to adapt because you've already done it!

I don't remember how long it took me to readjust to everything after the braces came off, but I do remember how my tone suffered in the beginning. One thing I can say is that even though I needed to build up my tone again, I was happy to be able to do it without the pain of the braces.

Good luck and be patient. Let us know how you are making out. And remember, eventually things will come around for you.

Gillie
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzLifeUp wrote:
thanks... i hope it turns out okay then. I really love the trumpet, and hopefully i won't suck to much when i get them off.

Do you suck now? J/K

Let us know how it went. I have to get them in a few years.

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends really on what your embouchure is like.

I used to play with a lot of pressure (even with braces, a doubly painful experience) and when I lost my braces things were really weird. You eventually recover and just fall into different habits. I actually gained a whole 3rd the first week I lost my braces but quickly lost it.
JazzLifeUp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I just got them off yesterday, and i can still play sort of is. It's really wierd playing, but my tone is okay in the lower register, but it's hard to play high... or just really fuzzy maybe. It's hard to explain. I think I'll try the long tones and slurring for a whie, since I can't really play anything with that has a range right now. But it isn't nearly as hard to play as when i actually got my braces on. So I think it will get better and easier soon. Thanks for the tips.
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAKE YOUR TIME. I pushed for my regular range and such right after I got them off, and ended up messing up my embouchure pretty bad.
I spent a good year getting back where I was. Have patience..it won't be instant.
Telgar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my braces off about a month ago and I didn't actually notice much of a difference. My endurance was down for a few weeks, but it was easy enough to regain. In the end though any difficulties are worth it a thousand times over. It's a little hard to describe the difference, but it's a little like putting replacing a bike that has square wheels with circular ones. Stick the next few weeks out and you'll be amazed at the difference!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: