• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MNOZIL...Dream Team of brass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjens
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: MNOZIL...Dream Team of brass Reply with quote

The true international ‘Dream Team’ of Brass is Mnozil from Vienna, Austria. As anyone who heard their US debut last week in Glassboro, New Jersey at the ITG conference will attest, this is a pure brass chamber ensemble at the highest level in the world right now. I first heard this group on a tour that I did through Europe last fall where they are the hottest brass ticket around. Everyone told me, “Yes, yes, the CD’s are great, but it is the live show that you must see”. Well, I saw it then and was totally impressed. After our respective concerts in Germany, we all hung out for three days and I can assure you that this group gets it. They are virtuosic, musical, funny and understand how to work an audience without the use of a microphone. I flew out a day early from Los Angeles on my way to Kentucky just to hear them this week and sat with no less an authority than the great Doc Severinsen who said to me, “the ITG and America has never seen a show like this before…this is brass theater at it’s finest”.

Every player in Mnozil is a true virtuoso on their instrument. There are simply no weak links and this gives them musical and rhythmic freedom to do whatever they want. They also understand that EVERYTHING you do on stage is observed by an audience. We are not only in the business of playing concerts, we are in the profession of presenting concerts and that includes the visual impact of what we are doing.

Mnozil has set a new standard for brass chamber groups to aspire to…and it’s about time!

Jens Lindemann (Canadian Brass 1996-2001)
www.trumpetsolo.com
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was the most entertaining brass concert I've ever seen!

No tigers, scantily clad ladies, rated r scenes (oops... I take that back), laser light shows, and no $10,000 sound systems.

Thomas came to my jam session on opening night and played so well! I am extremely inspired to hear them play and can't wait for their next US tour.

Thanks for hipping them to me.
WOW!
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: MNOZIL...Dream Team of brass Reply with quote

trumpetjens wrote:
The true international ‘Dream Team’ of Brass is Mnozil from Vienna, Austria.

While I've never heard them, if you think they give the Battle Creek Brass Band a run for its money, they must be something special - You of all people should know!

Thanks for spreading the word!

Best,

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: MNOZIL...Dream Team of brass Reply with quote

trumpetjens wrote:
As anyone who heard their US debut last week in Glassboro...

Wasn't this group featured at the Texas conference a few years ago? Maybe I'm thinking of another group.

Larry
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was their first time in the US. I found out they have two shows. One that we saw at ITG that was crazy exciting and a more serious opera version were they sing a lot more they play.

KDog
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens,

While I've never heard the CDs or seen a live performance, I was laughing out loud looking at the great pictures that were taken at the ITG conference. I posted this last week with some of my favorite pictures (I will definitely go to a show when I get a chance!)

Everyone needs to click on the link and look at these photos. You will definitely want to find out more after you see them!

OH MY!

This looks like it would have been worth the entire price of the conference just to attend this performance!

You all have to go and look at the complete set of pictures from the Mnozil Brass concert

Talk about fun!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second/third/whatever the kudos. The performance was completely, utterly amazing -- because it was just one crazy surprise after another. From the moment they walked out on stage, you knew that you had absolutely no idea what they were going to do, and you just sat in amazement at the virtuosic playing (per Jens) and the non-stop gags. I can't think of a performance (of any kind) that I've enjoyed more.

There are more pictures of the performance at:
http://www.schagerl.at/index_engl.html

Galen Tromble
Silver Spring, MD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine that they left some impression at the ITG. I first came to know them by a CD a friend left me. And then I saw the show on TV. But this was nothing compared to the live experience. The dynamic range of this group is just too much for any sound system. They fill each hall without any microphone, yet they can play soft whispers. I was always sitting in one of the back rows, but I can imagine that sitting center front can be a challenge.

BStrad43 wrote:
This was their first time in the US. I found out they have two shows. One that we saw at ITG that was crazy exciting and a more serious opera version were they sing a lot more they play.

It is an operette, and it is definitely not more serious. But while the program "Seven" is mainly a furious run through the musical literature of the world, "The Trojan Boat" is self composed, but as well with a furious stylistic run through the literature of the world.
There might be a reason why they haven't been in the US before, and I'm not sure whether they will do a tour there before the next elections. But of course I wish you all had the possibility to see them, they really show how you can give brass music a completely new dimension.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INCREDIBLE

Not sure which was most fun - watching Mnozil, or watching Jens' reaction to Mnozil (I was sitting just behind - it was very amusing )

If you haven't seen this group - see them - travel if you have to - they are more than worth it

(great bunch of guys too - a great blast to hang with them at the jam sessions)
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys were not only fantastic on stage, but also off stage. Roman was so very approachable and giving of his time, and playing advice. My buddy James got to talk shop with him one on one for a little while on Thursday. Plus they were a complete blast every night at the bar!
njp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Roman lesson Reply with quote

My lesson with Roman was great! After stressing that sound dictates everything, he really talked about the relaxation of the breath while keeping the breathing 'healthy'. It was like playing for a really hip Arnold Jacobs who talked with a really hip Arnold Schwarzenegger accent! Seriously, it was great to see that these guys can teach as professionally as they can perform.
uli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Roman lesson Reply with quote

njp wrote:
Seriously, it was great to see that these guys can teach as professionally as they can perform.

They do a workshop every year up in the mountains. For players of all levels(kids and pros and amateurs, all mixed), learning to play freely. How to play what's in your head, without any music sheets. Unfortunately these courses asre booked out very early. I would love to go there. Maybe next year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: