• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sharp rim - advantages & disadvantages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souperman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Sharp rim - advantages & disadvantages Reply with quote

Thoughts on this topic? Specifically, I'm experimenting with a Bach 5B and a Bach 5SV, both of which have sharp rims. I love the sound and clean/secure articulation I get with these pieces.
Just curious on others' opinions. Thanks!
batsomh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, sharper rims have aided in flexability and agility of playing, but also reduce your endurance. Prime examples are the Schilke 14a4a, which has a somewhat sharp rim, and Bach 3c, with a standard flatter rim.
-Schilke P5-4 Piccolo Trumpet (Bach 10.5 E)
-Jupiter 846RL Flugelhorn (Curry 3 FL)
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing on Warburton "anchor grips" for awhile and the bite was quite noticeable. I actually liked it, but eventually switched back to custom schilke pieces. The rim I use is very similar to the 17D4 rim, which is pretty sharp as well. I like that myself.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a personal preference thing. Some people, like myself, play on very sharp rims and have no problems with endurance. Play around with it. Sharp rims are some people. You really just need to try as many as you can.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rims which tend to be "sharper" - a well defined inner edge is what I assume is meant by the word "sharp - tend to provide better articualtion, flexibility, sureness of attack, and tone. I agree with the comments made by Vincent Bach in the old Bach Mouthpiece Manual relative to a medium shrp rim. I think your comment about liking the sharper tendency in the rim is in agreement with Bach's own ideas on this subject.

How "sharp" is sharp? I suppose there is some kind of continuum for evaluating this variable in mouthpieces, such as medium sharp, rounded, very sharp, etc.

The reaction of any given player to the inner edge and the sharpness thereof is highly individual and specific to the person. I have heard players comment on how the rims of some Bach mouthpieces are simply too sharp for them and cause injury to their lips. I myself can tell the difference in the feel of this aspect of the rim, but do not find it limiting in any way, and actually find a 3C rim to be very comfortable. The 7C feels sharper to me, but it is not unplayable for that reason.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
It's a personal preference thing.

Yep. If it works for you who cares what other people think.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone was the same, all the different mouthpiece ideas that work for some people wouldn't be needed.

As I say about bore size specs on trumpets . . . forget the numbers and just PLAY equipment. If we do this without bringing mental prejudices into the testing . . . we'll find what really works for each of us!

T.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Sharp Rim- Advantages & Disadvantages Reply with quote

Hello Souperman. If you already like the 5B and 5SV Bach. Do not pass up on the 5C Bach. It is to me the just right mouthpiece. Not to big or to small. Has a deeper C cup than the 3C Bach. It has a real good over all sound in all ranges. Has a high Alpha Angle of 19 degrees. A sharp bite. This mouthpiece will give your chops a great work out. You can not just cram it into your face and makes you play more precise. I have been through a lot of mouthpieces. And this is where I settled. I am using the newer ones. I have one in trumpet and in cornet. The cornet mouthpiece has a larger throat #24 and the trumpet in a #27. Now the cornet m.p. feels the best. I am sure the trumpet m.p. could be ordered with a #24 thoat a symphonic bore etc. I have been looking at those anchor mouthpieces. Like the french horn style rim. Glad to hear they have a sharp bite. But am taking my music tech's advice and play on these mouthpieces for at least one year. One other thing I noted. If I use my 1 1/2B Bach cornet m.p. or my King MC cornet mouthpiece on a low third part. They are not as hard since playing these 5C mouthpieces. MY two horns are a 1963-64 S1 King -20 trumpet like new. And a well taken care of 1948 King Master brass cornet. Perfect for a small church building. I have to be careful with the trumpet. As these King-20 trumpets can put out a lot of watts. Also I do have a 5B Bach and the 5V Bach cornet m.p. The 5V is a real deep V cup. Can be a challenge to play. May try the 5SV later. The 5C Bach cornet m.p. sounds real good on the King Master cornet. Well good luck. If you like what you have and your sound is good to great. I would hang with it for a good while. I believe till you get to a very good intermediate to pro level. The Bach mouthpieces are still the best standard to build from. I with through a lot of differant cornet mouthpieces last year or so. And ended right back with the Bachs. Take care and give a 5C Bach a try.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5C, 5B;
Sharp rim?? Whattttttt????????????? The bite on those rims is like a a rolling hill. 14A4a ???? No bite there either.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
Asian Man
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Yamaha's 14A4a and it's rim is pretty soft.
7 rims (Curry)
www.myspace.com/whistlingbarofsoap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always preferred sharper rims, I always felt they aided my endurnace and helped create a crisp articulation.
This summer I have moved to a rounder rim, it helps me put my lips together a little easier and helps aid my flexibility...I haven't noticed any loss in either endurance or articulation, but we will see.

Mike
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mzony wrote:
I have always preferred sharper rims, I always felt they aided my endurnace

I feel much better now! I went to the same size piece with a sharper rim and my endurance went way up. As soon as I start playing with pressure, the mouthpiece spanks me. With a more comfortable mouthpiece, I could keep the pressure up past the point of no return. Made for a third set that wasn't much fun. But I thought I was losing my mind and I was the only one who felt that way.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mzony wrote:
I have always preferred sharper rims, I always felt they aided my endurnace and helped create a crisp articulation.
This summer I have moved to a rounder rim, it helps me put my lips together a little easier and helps aid my flexibility...I haven't noticed any loss in either endurance or articulation, but we will see.

Mike

Mike, are you still using a GR? If so, which one?
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a GR mouthpiece still. I really appreciate the way GR listens to me talk and play and helps me find what I'm looking for. To be honest, I don't know what I'm playing anymore, it isn't on the web-wite and it isn't a "Zony" series anymore. I do know that it is the same cub/bb combo I have been using, but we found a rim that was rounder and the ID might be slightly smaller and it has really helped me out a lot with some of the things that I've been looking to accomplish in my playing. Hope that helps.

Mike
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mzony wrote:

Amen to that! I experiemented for too long with really soft bites on rims and it just led me to struggle in many ways. A lot of time was wasted before I realized that they just weren't for me. Granted, they can often feel very comfortable, but they just didn't do much else.

Everyone should play on something their face and ears can agree on.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words of wisdom from Vincent Bach... "The mouthpiece which feels the best is not necessarily the one that plays the best."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: