• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Advantage Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSBrant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Advantage Trumpet Reply with quote

I took advice and just went to the local music store and Got my 6th grade son a New trumpet on the rent to own program. It is a Yamaha Advantage Trumpet, YTR-200AD. Why can't I find anyone selling this model? Is it a less quality Yamaha because it is for Students? I guess It will do the job untill I can afford a different model.
TrumpetGod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha's are very high quality instrument, and I would trust it might be good. However, I wouldn't trust it in the long run. In just 3 years he'll be in high school and may have to invest in a better horn.
silveryoshii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is prlly a student model u shuld jus use the crappiest one they hav until ur son decides he wants to continue with trumpet mayb 9th grade?

Bach Megatone 1C/Bach3C/Bach Megatone 3C
PSBrant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Yamaha Corporation of America Web Site and the Specifications for the YTR-200AD are the same as the YTR-2335, and the only differance between the YTR-200AD and the Intermediate and Professional models, are Mother of pearl Key Buttons and Monel Pistons / Valves. So I guess the Yamaha Advantage YTR-200AD is just as good as Standard Bb YTR-2335. I figured it would be a lot cheaper of a model, Guess not! Makes me feel a little better about the check I'll be writing every month.
mtm-austin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are not paying too much every month. You can purchase a brand new YTR-2335 for under $500 if you look around. I bought one last year on eBay from a known seller of new instruments for $479 (no tax; no shipping). You'll get ALL your money back (if kept in good shape) when you sell it to another less-savy parent. Most parents around here are gullible enough to pay $900+tax to a local retailer for the same horn. Of course, a local retailer (when pressed) reduced his price to $660+tax. Another local retail (again, when pressed) went as low as $480. This guy, though, had the advantage of knowing the price I was paying on-line.
Yamaha 6610S
Cornets - '53 Conn Victor 80A, '32 Paris Selmer,
--------------- '56 Martin Committee "Deluxe", '50 King Silver Sonic
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several used student model trumpets on ebay right now. A yamaha that bidding closes in 5 mintutes and the price is under $160 right now. There is also a Holton with a little over a day left hovering around $135.

I always recommend that a parent purchase a used student trumpet in good condition. There are usually many for sale on ebay, your local paper, or one of those little sales booklets that are usually produced locally. (Ours in Maine and NH is called "Uncle Henry's")

As my husband and I run an instrument repair shop, I would advise that you purchase carefully and plan to spend anywhere from $50 to $100 extra for a good cleaning and to make sure it works properly....or you might get lucky.

Also, I know Yamaha makes good instruments but the valves on their student horns are notorious for having problems. I have a student with one of these instruments and it is a point of constant frustration for both of us. I've worked on it three different times, having to straighten bent valves and casings and eventually resorting to lapping the valves.

I would recommend the Holton instead - they are built like a truck - almost indestructable - have reliable valves and a decent sound. Stay away from the weird brands and "horns from big box retailers who sell everything from women's clothing to laundry baskets". (now I won't get sued, right?) Many repair shops actually refuse to work on instruments from W-Mart.

Anyway - you can spend an awful lot of money on a rental and still end up with nothing. Just my 2 cents:)

http://kingstonwinds.com/
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSBrandt, you should be a little careful with "the specs look the same", as most trumpet specs look pretty much the same - in an of itself, that doesn't mean that the trumpet isn't being made by slave labor in a third world hell-hole somewhere. That said, I think that you are looking at what is essentially a 2335 - it looks a lot like one, and the MAPs are similar.

Like many of TrumpetGod's posts, the one above is not based on personal experience of his. There is no reason one cannot play a 2335 throughout high school. I own one myself and there is nothing wrong with it. It's not as nice as some of my "pro" horns, but it gets the job donw. A student who is really serious may benefit from a better horn, but for the student who is more interested in the social aspects of band than embarking on a career in music, the 2235 will be fine throughout high school.

I agree with Michelle about looking at good, used student horns. (Although I prefer the Yamaha over the Holton) Returned rentals are another source to consider.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetGod wrote:
Yamaha's are very high quality instrument, and I would trust it might be good. However, I wouldn't trust it in the long run. In just 3 years he'll be in high school and may have to invest in a better horn.

That is nonsense -- a Yamaha 2335 will last a student through high school with no problem.

I have never heard of, or seen a YTR-200AD so I did a little research. It is in a new line of beginner instruments from Yamaha. You can Email imail1@yamaha.com to find out exactly what the difference between the 200AD and the 2335 is. I'm sure that Yamaha will be more than Happy to provide this information. Please share the answer with us here at TH.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
MrGBand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but the 200AD maybe marketed just for certain large chain stores. I believe the AD series gets some accessories and a nicer case.

If you take care of the Valves on the Yamaha 2335 it will last through high school. Even if you end up getting a better horn for indoors it would still be great for marching band.

I went to Temple University and the college owend a number of Yamaha student horns that it loaned out for students in Marching band who needed horns. They seemed hold up well.
Pic Yahama 6810s
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it faintly possible that the 200 AD model is being cranked out of China? Didn't their "new" range that they first introduced in Australia come from China also and have a "different" model number from what we are used to seeing?
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a straight answer today -- the 200AD is part of the advantage line that is being offered to only certain stores with certain levels of Yamaha sales. THe 200AD and the 2335 have the same specs, but the 200AD goes through a little more tweaking than the 2335, and it is placed in a bit of a nicer case.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
smithinrc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: 200AD Reply with quote

I just purchased a new 200AD for my son. I asked the dealer... a very reputable one... and he said it was the same horn as the 2335 except with a much better case (and it appears to be a better case than a wooden one. My son's horn is stamped with ASSEMBLED IN THE USA.
IPAle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Yamaha 200AD Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by IPAle on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a Getzen or Kanstul entry level horn for around the same price. They sound and play better, and they are made by family companies in America. There's really nothing else to say.
Except:
"What kind of horn are you playing?"
"It's an Advantage."
"Not from my seat!"
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
IPAle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback on the Yamaha 200AD Reply with quote

I get it. The trumpet I have is good, but far from great. Here's my question, I will be in the market for a second horn, either a cornet or a upgrade to an intermediate trumpet. What are your recommendations.
IPAle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for intermediate trumpet and/or cornet Reply with quote

BTW, I honestly don't care where the horn is made if it's high quality. I have personal experience with some of the crap made in southeast asia, but also have had Yamaha guitars and pianos for years and they have been excellent. As far as I am concerned "Made in America" is just a fact, not an inducement to buy. It's also frequently a lie, as the Federal Trade Commission discovers on a regular basis.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread, but IPAle, you can get a used professional trumpet for the same price as a used intermediate. Intermediate trumpets are kind of a marketing scam anyway, so just go with a pro horn, new or used. Pro horns also hold their value much better than intermediate horns.

You should be able to find more info using TH's search function.
IPAle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: recommendations for used pro trumpets Reply with quote

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am very gunshy of used instruments. But, since it may the only way I can get my hands on something of really high quality, I would consider it if I had some confidence in the make and the seller. Got any suggestions?
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I am concerned "Made in America" is just a fact, not an inducement to buy. It's also frequently a lie, as the Federal Trade Commission discovers on a regular basis.

Yes, I guess they would be one of the experts on lying. Please, stop drinking the flouride. If the government or tv says one thing, you can be pretty sure the truth is the opposite. Now, relating back to topic, this is not a lie:
Quote:
You could get a Getzen or Kanstul entry level horn for around the same price. They sound and play better, and they are made by family companies in America.

Oh, in case you didn't see on tv, there's a swine flu pandemic. People are dying from it, but there's a perfectly safe vaccine . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
IPAle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by IPAle on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: