• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buescher 10-22 trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
borris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Buescher 10-22 trumpet Reply with quote

HI, I have a Buescher true tone R 10-22 trumpet. It has a fist falve slide with a thumb hook, rather than the usual third-valve slide. can anyone tell me something about this model? It plays well and feels unusually light compared to my other trumpets. The valves also don't depress as far, which makes it very easy to play fast sequences. Any info would be greatly appreciated. There is also a threaded pin with a nut to set the maximum extension for the slide. no pictures of 10-22 trumpets i have seen look like mine.

regards
b
beaukoo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, Louis Armstrong used the Buescher 10-22 R model trumpet (the 10-22 with the rotary valve for the quick change from Bb to A) on his Hot Five recordings that were made for the Okeh label. I've got three of the 10-22 models and one of the 10-22Rs. The 10-22R needs some work, though. The main tuning slide was stuck when I got it and someone pulled the tubing out of the slide trying to get it loose. Mine all have the threaded pin with the nut that you mention, as well as the thumb hook on the first valve slide. In that regard, they resemble Conn's 2B model trumpet. Last year, we put together a rudimentary list (by no means comprehensive) of known Buescher trumpet models. It can be found here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35690&highlight=

Can you post any pictures of your trumpet?
borris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Mine seems to have had it's rotary valve removed - what a pity - the soldered section is visible in the photo. The bottom of the second valve has a serial number 146418 with the letters "LP" below that, the letter "R" below that, and below that "10-22". above the serial it says pat. oct. 29. 07. The "true tone" label is midway up the valve. the mouthpiece receiver is narrower than on my other tumpets, making the mouthpieces go in only a very short way. The maouthpiece that came with looks handmade, and the lip is slightly thicker on the one side than the other. I haven't made any attempt to clean the trumpet yet.

I have taken some photos and will post them soon.

Regards B
borris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: photos of 10-22 R Reply with quote

Here are some photos of my buescher 10-22 R, How can I find out how old it is?

B
beaukoo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trumpet dates to 1923. That must've been a high production year for Buescher, because many of the Buescher trumpets I've bought (and have seen) on ebay date from 1923. Nice looking horn! What kind of plating does it have?
borris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the coating, it is a lighter yellow than on my Julius Keilwerth trumpet. Is there anyway of having the A/Bb tuning valve replaced or are such spares impossible to come by? And another question, the mouthpiece receiver is narrower than on my other trumpets, cauing modern mouthpieces to only go in a little way. The original moutpiece that came with it is shorter than all my other mouthpieces, but is not good for me to play on. Does anyone else play a buescher from this era with modern mouthpieces? I dont really want to use my bach mouthpices on it and wear them out at a different angle to their fit with my other instruments.

B
beaukoo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as replacing the rotor, my only suggestion would be to watch eBay until a trashed Buescher 10-22R comes along you could snag the rotor off of. Regarding the mouthpiece, I've had problems using the modern ones on the Bueschers I have as well. Keep watching eBay for a vintage Buescher mouthpiece, as they do show up regularly. Fortunately, I've got a mouthpiece that came with one of my Bueschers that works pretty well.
silveryoshii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waht is that

Bach Megatone 1C/Bach3C/Bach Megatone 3C
beaukoo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two "Truetone" mouthpieces (30-7 and 6CB) that came with my 1929 Buescher 10-22 trumpet. They have a smaller diameter shank and the diameter of the rim seems smaller. I really should measure them, though. I don't play them a lot, as I've been playing an Olds Ambassador with a Bach 7C mouthpiece lately.
borris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally prefer larger mouthpices between a Bach 3c and 1c. I wonder wether there is a way to modify a bach 3c, or 2c, and have the backbore somehow match the characteristics of the trumpet? This is not a modification that I would attempt myself though. The mouthpiece that came with the trumpet feels more or less like a 7c, but I am too used to playing a 1c on my julius keilwerth, and switching between mouthpices like 1c and 7c just messes up my sound quality on both. At the moment I am forced to use my older 7c mouthpieces (the ones I don't mind messing up) on the buescher, but this is not an ideal arrangement, and I can feel that the mouthpiece does not match the trumpet well. The buescher has such nice responsive valves though.

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: