• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Review of new Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon .470 CG-2 Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Review of new Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon .470 CG-2 Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi there one and all,

I just received the new Marcinkiewicz-made CG-2 .470 Bore Claude Gordon Trumpet (the one that is a clone of Claude's Selmer-built design).

It arrived today and I'll be spending the next two weeks or so giving it a good workout and also letting some of my students try it out as well. Then I'll post my opinion of the horn and send it on to Jeff Purtle and Ken Scoville who will also be evaluating it.

I didn't get a chance to play it today - but I can tell you if it plays as good as it looks, it's going to be a real winner. The build quality is fantastic. It is an absolute jewel to behold.

Bach/Selmer/etc. eat your heart out - I don't think that conglomerate of eaten and digested musical firms has made a horn of this build quality in half a century, if ever.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student

Last edited by John Mohan on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks for letting us know. Take some photo, if you please, from diffent angels. Would be nice to see.

Looking forward to your evaluation!

Richard
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the heck have you been John? You missed this http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63399
What you've been waiting for.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when a critic writes a review, whether it be for a car, movie, or other product, if the reviewer finds that he or she truly loves the item being reviewed and can find absolutely no fault in it, then the reviewer has a bit of a dilema on his hands. As he writes his review, he will worry that he will appear ignorant, or too easily swayed, if later after his review is published, other reviewers provide a less-rosy review of the same product.

I find myself in this position. But fortunately, my take-no-prisoners, hit-it-hard-and wish-it well, plow-straight-through-the-middle, no-fear (okay, enough superlatives) lead-trumpet player attitude relieves me of any such worries. So here's the news:

The horn is pretty much perfect. One and only one very minor flaw: The third valve slide is a little too tight to easily be manipulated for low Db and low D. And this obviously can be adjusted with a bit of steel wool and less than a minute of one's time. Perhaps some will say I’m being way too picky to even mention such a thing, except I really am trying my best to let you all know everything there is to know about the horn I am testing.

Given the fact that loosening up the 3rd Valve Slide is really just an adjustment issue, for all intents and purposes, I have encountered the perfect trumpet. In the way that it plays, to me it feels exactly the same as two different Selmer-produced CG Trumpets I compared it to (one being one of mine, and the other being one of my student’s). The upper register is lively and really is easier to play then on the typical Bb Trumpet. Many brochures for many different horns make this claim. I've only found this to be true for two horns in the past: The CG Benge and the CG Selmer. Now I can tell you that this claim is true for the new Marcinkiewicz-made CG-2 .470” Bore Claude Gordon Trumpet as well. And I've got no reason to tell you anything but the truth here. I have no stake and no claim in these horns. If I buy one, I'm going to pay as much as you do (around $3500 I believe, maybe more, maybe less).

Sound-wise, the new horn is just a tad darker than the CG Selmer. I'm not sure why that is, but I think the horn might be just a tad heavier. I'm going to weigh it on a Postal Scale and compare its weight to both of my CG Selmers to see if I’m right.

Whatever the reason for the slightly darker tone, to be honest, I think that for most players, this is a good thing. I have found that I usually reserve the use of my own CG Selmer for rock and screamy-type stuff due to its very bright sound. This new horn's sound is a bit closer to the sound of my prized, early-'70's hand-made, custom Burbank Benge .468" Large Bore that was ordered from Benge by Claude Gordon for one of his students and fitted with a .464" Bell "choke" much in the same fashion as Claude's two later trumpet designs. I have never found a trumpet that emulated the sound of my beloved Burbank Benge, but now with Joe Marcinkiewicz's CG-2 Claude Gordon Model, I have come close to it.

This new horn is every bit as flexible as the Selmer-built CG, and it just feels exactly the same when I play it (please bear in my that "exactly" is meant in a relative way - no two horns play "exactly" the same - I can identify my two different personal CG Selmers from one another by playing them blindfolded). The new horn's intonation is every bit as good as the CG Selmers. In particular, just like the CG Selmer, Low Db requires about one third less 3rd Slide throw as a typical Bach does, and Low D requires hardly any, if any slide throw.

And finally, the build quality:

As stated before, the 3rd Valve Slide is just a tad too tight - but this is easily adjusted. I'd sure rather the horn came with it too tight, as opposed to too loose! And it isn't so tight that it must be adjusted. I just finished the Easter weekend playing four different services at two different Churches with the horn and I was able to throw the slide out as needed. On a side note, it made for an exciting weekend - especially when the one Church's 10:45 am service ended at 11:56 and the next service started for me at a Church about two miles from the first Church at noon. I didn't even put the horn away! I just sat it on the car seat next to me and made a banzai run for it to the next church which by the Grace of God began their service about two minutes late, so I made it! (SHHHH!!!!!!!!! Don't tell Patricia Gordon or Joe Marcinkiewicz that I traveled with this horn outside of its case ) To Patty and Joe: Don't worry - no dents and no scratches. Just some real, good High E's on each of the three Catholic Masses on one of the pieces that have now caused the flute player who was sitting in front of me to have rather violent, sinful thoughts about me...).

Okay, sorry about the digression - back to the review:

The craftsmanship and build of this horn is the best I have ever seen from a production instrument in my entire life (though since these are being hand-built, they aren't really "production" instruments). The finish, and the fit of everything is marvelous. The Valves are as silky and smooth as I have ever felt. Yet, when I take them out to oil them, I find that I must have them perfectly straight up and down to refit them, or else they won't go in. I cannot believe how tight the tolerances are, given how smoothly they work when they are in place.

So, to summarize:

* As easy to play as any horn I've ever played.

* Sounds absolutely wonderful - lively, bright, musical, emotionally alive.

* Intonation is as good as it gets.

* Build quality is the best I've ever seen.

If and when I buy another new trumpet, it'll be this one, unless I find I like Mr. Marcinkiewicz's rendition of the .468" Bore CG Benge even better. Oh no! If I find myself tempted to buy both, I'll either have to raise my teaching rates a whole lot, or I'll have to sell my beloved 240-Z... or wait until I've finished medical school and residency. Then I can have it all (assuming that someday, malpractice insurance rates stop rising)!

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention:

I'll post pictures soon, and if I can figure out how, I might post a video of me playing the new horn on youtube.

JM
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, THanks for the review.

Mike
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John - I agree with every thing you said, except I can't compare to a Selmer as I've never played one. I have played Benges, and I really liked the Marc version (.468). I did feel that the .470 (CG-2? Selmer) was darker than the .468 (CG-1? Benge), which has a glorious fat vibrant sound. Personal preference for sure - both are exceptional horns!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nate,

They'll be sending me the CG-1 (the Benge version) soon for testing and I'll write something up about that one, too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.

Was the craftmanship on the horns you tried as impeccable as the one I am testing?

Cheers,

John
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures!
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - I am extremely impressed with the workmanship! I had just purchased the pre-Celebration, which is along the same lines as the new CG's, so I wasn't in the market. Had I not made my recent purchase, I would be scraping up the extra bread crumbs for one. I am very particular about the way horns are put together, and I had every slide out and was checkin' port alignment etc. If they are always built as meticulously as the 2 at NAMM, then it's one fine horn. One of my pet peeves is rotational valve play, and these horns were as tight as possible and still work.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcinkiewicz makes excellent horns. There may be a few other trumpets made as well but I know of none that would exceed them (makes his own valves and everything else by the way). I had his Copola which is a large bore copy of an old Martin Committee and it was great but the big 470 bore was just too much for me over the long haul. It would be interesting to compare the two.
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man these are great horns!! I got to try them last month or so. They told me the one I tried was like the CG benge so it must have been the CG-1.

It played fantastic. It had a really open blow but I never felt unsuported. Intonation and eveness were better than nearly anything I had ever tried.

I played on a Claude Gordon Benge for years and when I let it go it was the biggest mistake (trumpet wise) of my life. But now I've got this yamaha RGM, picked out of ten different Yamahas(better than the Chigacos or NY's). I love my Yamaha more than any man should love his trumpet...... (that came out strange) But if I had to get a new horn it would be without a doubt the CG-1. You can allways count on everyone of Marcinkiewicz's horn to be a true gem.

-Mario
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Bryant wrote:
pictures!

Here's some quick ones I just did with my computer's built in camera. I'll do better quality ones later (and I'll try to stay out of them).

StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,
Looks like you're giving us the bird in that bottom picture.....lol
Is the lack of a first ring standard, or was it a personal request from you? Is the intonation such that it's truly not necessary, or......what do you think?
Gorgeous horn!

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that the original Selmer Claude Gordon trumpet did not have any tuning appointments on the first slide. I owned one briefly many years ago. It was a great horn, as were the 2 or 3 Benge Claude Gordon trumpets I owned over the years.
Regards
Steve Allison
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
I seem to recall that the original Selmer Claude Gordon trumpet did not have any tuning appointments on the first slide. I owned one briefly many years ago. It was a great horn, as were the 2 or 3 Benge Claude Gordon trumpets I owned over the years.
Regards
Steve Allison

Yea, I haven't regretted selling many horns, but my Benge CG is one for the books!

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenPSparks wrote:
Hey John,
Looks like you're giving us the bird in that bottom picture.....lol
Is the lack of a first ring standard, or was it a personal request from you? Is the intonation such that it's truly not necessary, or......what do you think?
Gorgeous horn!

Excellent questions!

Actually, it was Claude who didn't believe in the need for a thumb throw. Part of the reason is that he had a pretty wide thumb and it used to annoy him by getting caught up in the thumb throw thing. So he didn't have them put on his horns.

On the CG Benge, it was an easy to add option because like Bach trumpets, the Benges had the upper tube of the 1st Valve slide on the outside, so adding a Thumb-throw was easy and in fact, most of the CG Benges came with one (mine didn't, as Claude ordered it for me the way heliked it). But on the Selmer CG, Claude designed it with both tubes of the 1st Valve slide on the inside, making it a bit more difficult to add the thumb-throw.

My own opinion is that if a player is well-developed and the horn is designed right, the thumb throw is not necessary - but it makes the job easier, so in my opinion it can be a good thing to have. My Burbank Benge Large Bore that Claude ordered for Lowell Stevenson in the early '70's has the thumb-throw. If I decide to play my throwless CG-Benge, I do have the option of putting the Burbank's 1st Valve Slide onto it since it fits the CG perfectly. My Selmers don't have any thumb-throw and it hasn't cost me anything over the years in terms of work (at least I don't think it has).

As for the new horn, it was my suggestion to Patty that if a thumb-throw isn't included as a standard thing, at the least, the 1st Valve Slide should be built with the upper tube on the outside so a Thumb-throw could be an easy-to-order or add option to the horn. I'm happy to report that the new horn does indeed have a 1st Valve slide with the upper tube on the outside, so if one wants a thumb-throw, one can have a thumb-throw.

Cheers,

John
inbflat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: want one! Reply with quote

Oh man, I would love to get my hands on one of these! I currently play a CG Selmer that Claude picked out for me, and I love it. I've never needed the 1st valve throw.

Barb
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG Benge Claude picked for me in 1977 had no thumb throw. Likewise the CG Selmer I picked for myself several years later (long story).
inbflat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I'm so used to not having one, that having one would probably annoy me!

Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: