• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jackie Gleason

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Jackie Gleason Reply with quote

I think I remember reading somewhere that Jackie Gleasopn played trumpet. Anybody know if this was true?

B
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it sure enough is true , and he also produced some great old albums in the 50's and early 60's. Although many people believe that he (Jackie)
played trumpet on the albums , it was usually Bobby Hackett or Burt Collins playing the feature solos. Dry martinis anyone?
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it (if i remember clearly - i still could be wrong), Gleason really didn't have anything to do with those albums - he wasn't physically there when they were recorded. His name came into play as a marketing ploy or something like that. And I had heard that about Bobby Hackett et al. That's why I was wondering if indeed he did play the trumpet

I'll try to remember where I read that, as it seemed to be a very credible source.

B
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Love the mood music Gleason albums, especially the ones with Bobby Hackett cornet solos. Gleason was very involved with the musical production of his albums, including musicians he wanted.

There's a story that Jackie Gleason was perturbed one night after the closing theme of his TV show was played (Melancholy Serenade). The solo trumpet obligato was always played by Chris Griffin. It seems that Chris, in spite of his prodigious talent, was a very modest person.

That night, Chris had given the trumpet solo to Jimmy Nottingham to play. The next day, Gleason called for Griffin to see him. He shook his finger at Chris and said, "don't ever do that again. I want you to play that".

I remember Chris Griffin's solo very vividly. I never heard a better trumpet sound come out of my TV set. That hooked me on the trumpet as a kid. Gleason had a great ear for what he wanted musically.

Chris Griffin, of course, was part of Benny Goodman's trumpet section (along with Harry James and Ziggy Elman) that Duke Ellington called "the greatest trumpet section that ever was". Griffin never received, nor did he seek, the public acclaim given to his more flamboyant section mates, but he was a monster player.

Last edited by Rich G on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 am; edited 3 times in total
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biber wrote:
As I understand it (if i remember clearly - i still could be wrong), Gleason really didn't have anything to do with those albums - he wasn't physically there when they were recorded. His name came into play as a marketing ploy or something like that. And I had heard that about Bobby Hackett et al. That's why I was wondering if indeed he did play the trumpet

I'll try to remember where I read that, as it seemed to be a very credible source.

B

Well, I hate to be contradictory, but Jackie Gleason had a lot to do with those albums , #1 he produced them , #2 he had a great deal of input as to what tunes were recorded and what musicians were used.
But , no he did not actually play on the albums
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris took Harry James' slot on the Goodman band when Harry left to do his own band. He was just a young pup, too - maybe 19 or 20 years old, I believe.

He was one of those famously unknown trumpet players who everyone heard but few people outside of the biz knew who it was, kind of like Uan Rasey in LA.

I think Chris was 1st trumpet on both the original cast album of "West Side Story" and the movie, among countless other notable credits.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Goldie was also featured on one or more of Gleason's albums.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:

Haven't heard his name mentioned in 20 years! I have one of Don Goldie's albums. What a beautiful sound he got!
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:

Exactly, Don Goldie , great player ,I had forgotten about him .
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rich G"]
jazz_trpt wrote:
Haven't heard his name mentioned in 20 years! I have one of Don Goldie's albums. What a beautiful sound he got!

I found about 6 different -unopened- vinyl copies of recordings he made while in Florida...usually quartet, duo, trio stuff, playing standards. He had great technique and always played in the money range of the horn.

Also got a DVD of him playing duo stuff that's nice as well.

(My first exposure to Goldie was from his live recordings with Jack Teagarden....)
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have or use a Don Goldie Felt Mute?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
Well, I hate to be contradictory...

No, not at all, by all means contradict away. I'm still trying to remember the source I read about him being distanced from the recordings. It could very well be wrong.

B
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Benny's trumpet section Reply with quote

The famous Benny Goodman trumpet section was Harry James, Ziggy Elman and Chris Griffin. I once asked Harry [in 1968] who played what parts on the band, in so far as the first parts were concerned, and he told me that the first parts were played by whomever played the style the best. I think Harry was reluctant to admit that Chris Griffin was the acknowledged lead player for some reason. On his own band, Harry certainly played his fair share of lead over the top of the section. An interesting story as relayed to me by Doc Severinsen was the time Doc first played Tom Stevens arrangement of "Trumpet Blues and Cantable" with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. Doc phoned after the concert to say, "you know how much respect I've always had for Harry, but after playing "Trumpet Blues" from beginning to end, I have even more respect." Harry recorded that in non-stop fashion, long before splicing was being used.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Jackie Gleason Reply with quote

Two quick things ...

Chris Griffin, arguably one of the greats of the big band/swing era, was in the section on the Charlie Parker classic, "Bird with Strings."

Also, some years back, I was practicing outside on a park bench near a local beach. A fellow came up to me and said: "I remember my Dad practicing those exercises. You might have heard of him, his name is Chris Griffin."

Gleason - THE Great One - couldn't read or write music, per my conversations with Leon Merian. However, he would "dictate" verbally a melody, etc.

Those "For Lovers" Gleason albums are classics!! Hackett and crew played their buns off.
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxzCS1vlhTI

Especialyl when he explains the valves. Too funny.
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Jackie Gleason Reply with quote

That is priceless!!!!

I had known that the "guest artist" played trumpet, but, that was awesome!!!!

Great clip!!!! Thank you!!!!

Nick
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly shows of this quality don't exist any more..at least none that I have seen. Call me foolish, but I'm a sucker for the black and white days of television and movies.

Not to be morbid but check out his Grave, if you ever seen it in person it's astonishing :

Here is a description
Quote:

It is a small Neo-Roman temple. Four steps lead up to a dais on which, between four pillars, rest two stone representations of Roman couches. On the head of the couches is inscribed the names of Jackie and his wife. The only other inscription is on the front of the last step. It reads 'And Away We Go

wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonKratzer wrote:
lol watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxzCS1vlhTI

Especialyl when he explains the valves. Too funny.

Hey.........another South Philly kid
Wilmer
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Jackie Gleason Reply with quote

Wikipedia and IMDB show that Avalon was "discovered" playing trumpet at a private party for Al Martino (seen in The Godfather, FYI). That got him the Gleason appearance.

Speaking of the epitaph "Away We Go!" Not morbid to check out other celebs/musicians epitaphs at "findagrave.com." Favorite is Mel Blanc's. Other trivia there is that Satchmo and Diz are buried near each other in Flushing Cemetery. Miles' is too much!

Back to the shed.

Nick
P.S. That other "wise" Philly kid above don't play bad horn either!!!
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
Yup, it sure enough is true , ...

So far nobody has spoken of Gleason himself playing trumpet. So how do you know this?

b
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: