• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

keilwerth horn circa 1936, any info?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spankeythecat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: keilwerth horn circa 1936, any info? Reply with quote

this has just come up on a local auction site.
does anyone know anything about these horns? i guess most importantly, would it be in low pitch and if so, are they any good, its not overly priced, but its not in my city so I wont have a chance to view it.

the seller does not know anything about it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Brass/auction-117942012.htm

any help or info on these horns would be greatly appriciated.

cheers,

Tim
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

That talk about 1936 cannot be right. If you check out the link in the bottom you can see that JK brass instrument production took place somewhere in between 1955-1980. Then, you don't need to worry about pitch etc. because with that serial number it is probably made in the beginning of the sixities. The "Toneking" was their intermediate/student trumpet and "Toneking Deluxe" and "Toneking Super Deluxe" were intended for professional use ("meisterinstrumente"). I have a Toneking Deluxe and it sure is a very nice trumpet. From what I have heard and read about the intermediate Tonekings I believe they are too. Not fantastic but very much trumpet for the money.

Generally one can say about german Bb-trumpets of that age that their tone is rather dark as they were made for playing chorals, I believe, but I think they also work well for modern jazz and any symphonic brass/community band.

Price? Well, those very few auctions I have seen on ebay during the last year (including the one I won) have ended between 50-200 USD depending on the condition of the trumpet.

Regards!
KarlR

http://www.dallasmusic.org/jkbrass/
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krax wrote:
Hi!

That talk about 1936 cannot be right. If you check out the link in the bottom you can see that JK brass instrument production took place somewhere in between 1955-1980. Then, you don't need to worry about pitch etc. because with that serial number it is probably made in the beginning of the sixities. The "Toneking" was their intermediate/student trumpet and "Toneking Deluxe" and "Toneking Super Deluxe" were intended for professional use ("meisterinstrumente"). I have a Toneking Deluxe and it sure is a very nice trumpet. From what I have heard and read about the intermediate Tonekings I believe they are too. Not fantastic but very much trumpet for the money.

Generally one can say about german Bb-trumpets of that age that their tone is rather dark as they were made for playing chorals, I believe, but I think they also work well for modern jazz and any symphonic brass/community band.

Price? Well, those very few auctions I have seen on ebay during the last year (including the one I won) have ended between 50-200 USD depending on the condition of the trumpet.

Regards!
KarlR

http://www.dallasmusic.org/jkbrass/

The website have some facts wrong. I know that they have a letter from the factory but... in fact I have a catalogue older than 1980 ( From 1988) and I visited the factory in 1989 and bought a trumpet and talked with Mr Keilwerth III. who told me that Mr Keilwerth the first started in Jugoslavia and after the war they moved to Germany.

By the way I bought one of the last Keilwertrs. At this time Mr. Keilwerth told me that they were cutting trumpet production to concentrate in sax.

On the other side I do not know if the trumpet is a true Keilwerth.

Gus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: