• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SARGEANT KEITH CLARK, 74, Buglemaster who played "TAPS" at

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyDon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been described by author William Manchester...that Keith Clark, at the presidents funeral actually "cracked the sixth note" of his taps performance which so many folks took as Sargeant Clarks way of adding emotion and impact to his beautiful performance, however, after some research,
it is said by Sargeant Jari Villanuevai , that in performance in truth...was what started out as a trainwreck-clam-cracked note-flufferoonies-and even more colorful words for a simple mistake, actually in truth....came off to the world as one of the best performances ever played.
If it wasn't for the humble honesty of Mr. Clark, perhaps the world would have never known.
May I quote Sargeant Jari's conversation that is on the

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.com/jfk.htm website:

The Story of "Taps" at President Kennedy's Funeral

Jari states: Because of the "broken" note it was assumed that SGT Clark was expressing his profound sorrow.
The TV announcer was half truthful. The French had for many years before the funeral apdopted Taps as their last call. Slurring-(which moves one note to another without a break n the air stream or re-articulating the note) that is not used in the call Taps
Here is what happened.

Probably the most heard sounding of Taps occurred the afternoon of Nov.25, 1963 when millons around the world listened as Sargeant Clark of the US Army Band played those famous 24 notes.

In the very afternoon of hearing about the Presidents assassination, Clark hurried to the nearest barber for a haircut thinking that he might be called on to sound Taps should the CE be interred at Arlington. He had actually played in the presence of Pres. Kennedy earlier tht month at the Tomb of the Unknowns, when the pres. laid a wreath during Armistice (Veterans Day) ceremonies.

According to Manchesteer, it wasn't until early Monday morn. that it was realized that a bugler had not been requested for the funeral. Sergeant Clark then was immediately contacted with information about the ceremony.
At the conclusion of the ceremony Sergeant Clark played Taps and for the first time in his many many daily soundings of the call, Keith "broke on the mighty 6th note" Sergeant Clarks broken note was considered the only conspicuous blunder in the otherwise ornate and grandiose ceremony of a state funeral. However, it was thought that it was a delibrate and beautifully added imbellishment effect. IT WAS NOT!!!

Sergeant Clark was in place hrs before the funeral procession arrived at Alington and was placed only five yard from the firing party in order to appease the TV crews. It was also cold that day and given the fact that Sergeant Clark was not given a chance to "warm-up" it is not surprising the he actually missed a note and the fact that he was playing for a world-wide audience may have had SOME EFFECT OF HIM...
After the 3 volleys were fired by a squal of the Old Guard. Our Clark began his "TAPS"
He pointed the bell of that beautifully regal Bflat Signal Bach Trumpet Bugle at Mrs. Kennedy and started the "FAMOUS BUGLE CALL"
Clark belief was that the abugler should only sound Taps for the Widow. On the 6th note....he cracked the note..."AS IF IT WAS LIKE A CATCH IN YOUR VOICE, OR A SWIFTLY STIFLED SOB" according to Manchster.

In a letter from Sergeant Clark (who retired in 1966 after 20 years of faithful and honorable service) humbly proclaimed

"I FEEL THE THOUGHT BEHIND THE PLAYING AND FEELING USED IN THE PERFORMANCE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS OF EACH SOUNDING OF TAPS:

My only comment is that I feel that even though so many of us have been there... done dooed' dat'(clammed-fluffed-trainwrecked-!@#$% notes)and we should know by now...NO ONE IS IMMUNE...and thus proving that NO MATTER HOW ACCOMPLISHED...or gifted.

Each and everyone of us must give that very best to each and every one of our performances...BUT NEVER, NEVER....let it be of great concern when these "accicents" happen.
In this case for our amazingly talented Mr. KEITH CLARK....HE MUST KNOW TODAY, IN PARIDISE...THAT HE WAS TRULY A TRUE AND FAITHFUL SERVANT!" Well done, our faithful and beautiful trumpet-master bugler....
May you rest in peace and Glory be to God, for sharing Sergeant Clark with all of us.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: MightyDon on 2002-01-21 15:14 ]
MightyDon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more item... For A wonderful tribute to Sergeant Clark
Go to
http://www.trumpetguild.org/news/news02/clark.htm

for a truly wonderful update for Keith Collar Clark (1927-2002)
Bye the way...His wonderful old Bach Bflat Sinal trumpet made by Vincent Bach for the US Army Band is currently in the Museum of American History in Washington DC.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link for really amazing information about the Bugle in history.

Master Sgt. Jari Villanueva is a walking who's who of the Bugle...

http://www.af.mil/news/Nov2000/n20001109_001689.shtml
topsop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Sgt. Clark with a special intensity that day. At the time I was regimental bugler at Xavier High School, a military academy in NYC, and had been assigned to play Taps at a televised memorial service in a large cathedral the very next morning.
When he cracked that note, I came to the sudden realization that everyone is mortal, even presidents and the best buglers. His display of humanity removed any trepidation I may have had.
I will never forget Sgt. Keith Clark.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a note from Jari...saying he tried to access the board but is trying to resolve the password problem...
Any way I would like to pass on a few more comments that Jari would like to add in memory of Keith Clark.

"THANKS FOR THE REPLIES...and inquiries into Sergeant Clark's amazing history as a world class trumpet-bugler musician."

Anyone interested in the entire story can email me for it.
I can send it in a pdf. file or just via E mail
jvmusic@erols.com

For the record, The bugle used by Sergeant Clark was one of a limited lot manufactured by the Vincent Bach Corp. for the USA Army Band. The serial # reads 1962-1. The bugle is in the key of B flat and was designed after the 1892 U.S. Pattern bugle, except that it is pitched in a higher key.
The Army Band decided on the key to match the sound of B flat trumpets which are used at ceremonies in Arlington when a bugle is not available. Also the thought may have been that the sound would actually carry farther. Incidentally, the instrument is called a "Signal Trumpet in Bb."
The bach Corporation is correct in its definition, as the bell is more of a trumpet bell than a bugle bell. The bugle was also used for the funerals of President Truman and Eisenhower before its loan to the Smithsonian Institution in April 1973.
It was placed on display in the First Ladies exhibit in the Museum of American History until moved to Arlington National Cemetery in the spring of 1999.
Thanks
Jari Villanueva
jvmusic@erol.com
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard a clip of the "Broken Taps?" I found a .wav file of it and it made me cringe when I heard it. But, it truly does does fit the mood.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: