• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador - Serial Numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Olds Ambassador - Serial Numbers Reply with quote

I just discovered Sunday that a friend of mine has an Olds Ambassador. He doesn't play, the horn actually belongs to his brother who has recently been deployed (active military). He has however asked me to clean it and find out what I can about it. I have no idea if it is actually related in quality to the well known Ambassadors I hear about on these forums. But hoping someone can help me learn something about it I will give you some information on it.

It has the serial number "965963" stamped on the valve section and the words "Olds Ambassador, Fullerton, Calif." stamped on the bell. I think it has been relacquered. The slides have lacquer on them and I'm referring to the part that is supposed to be inside the tubing. That is to say the section that should be greased is as shiny as the rest of it. It kind of makes me think it was poorly done.

Oh well, I don't know much about it but hopefully some one on here with some experience will be able to shed some light on it. Thanks.

EDIT: From what I can find it appears to have been made in approximately August 1976. ??? Is this a good thing? :?
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ambassador is a decent student horn, but there are different opinions as to various era's and places of manufacturer. The opinions I seen generally refer the models built in 40's, 50's and 60's as the best ones. The early ones made in Los Angeles get that nod. Go to http:// Rouses.net known as Olds Central for the best information on Olds instruments. You might Google for Horn-u-copia web site which has a lot of info and photos of Olds trumpets and other instruments. Also , go to Ebay search for Olds trumpets , as there are usually many to compare yours too. Important things are if the valve slides move in, or not (lacquer on them you say?) and the valves move up and down normally. Good Luck

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule on Olds I've seen was the older the better. The 70s aren't as in demand and will not likely bring as much but if it plays nice I would expect it to be a good beginner horn

1939 Holton Revelation Model 45
1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
Jay Brewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. This horn is decent but I do worry that some of the work might have been done by an inexperienced technician. I don't think the slides will take to grease due to the lacquer. Hopefully, I can get it cleaned up enough to be a good beginner horn for it's owner.

Thanks again.
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the thoughts above. Just one note. I have four Olds horns now and they do have shiny slides. I'm not sure what Olds did to the raw brass on the slides to make them shiny but that is probably normal and not necessarilly lacquer. I'm guessing they plated the slides with something. There isn't enough clearance to get the slides into their matching tubes if there is lacquer on the slides.

A lot of wrongs can be fixed if the lead pipe isn't corroded through and the valves have reasonable compression. Even those can be fixed but now your talking more money.

Go to http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm for lots of information on Olds horns.
ernieo2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the slides are indeed lacquered, which I have never heard of on an Olds horn, it would be very easy to remove the lacquer. Just use a good metal polish like Maas or Semichrome. You can also use Nevr-Dull which most auto supplies stores sell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: