• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Find out about the teachings of 'Doc' Reinhardt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I know this forum is young, but we need some more contributors if we're going to do what it says in the caption on the main Forum page.

I've sent out word via TPIN and through a small emailing list stating that Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt is now represented here on Trumpet Herald, so the word is getting out.

Now, what do we do with it?

Here's a question: what exactly is the High A Routine? Chris LaBarbera explained it to me over the phone, but it wasn't quite the way my foggy recollection of Doc's explanation went. Does anybody out there know about the High A Routine, and the subsequent Double C Routine?

Thanks!

Rich
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Doc said most trumpet players who wanted to could play up to a high G. If you can play a high A you can get a double C.

"The High A Routine" is as follows:

Start on A above the staff and play an A arpeggio (A, C#, E, A, E, C#, A) up & down. Do that until it responds easily. Later, when the previous drill is easily done begin "taking out the crutches". Augment it by playing A, E, A E, A,(up & down) then A, C#, A, C#, A,(up & down). When all of that responds well start on the A above high C going down to the A above the staff and back up again arpeggio style. When that responds well augment it by "getting rid of the crutches" starting on the A above high C as before A, E, A, E, A,(down & up) then A, C#, A, C#, A, (down & up). Is this confusing? Oh, it doesn't end there...when all of that is responding well use a "HEE" attack repeating everything I just said above. When all of that is gravy move on to starting on the high C and repeat the above drill in similar style as things progress.

Paul
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!!! Now I remember . . . thank you so much Paul!!!

Now *this* is the kind of stuff the Reinhardt forum is for, ladies and gentlemen!

What a groove . . . I'll be adding this to my compression drills tomorrow. Excellent!

Take care,
Rich
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that routine will get you up to double "c"??
also, are you just using the first and second valves when you are doing the routine??

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-08-29 12:58 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, how much range do some of you guys have and how much of that range is a result of studying with Reinhardt?
hairy james

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan, I said in an previous post that Doc gave me a career, and I meant it. When I went to see him I was only 15 years old. I could play a pretty good high "A" but that was about it. Understand this, going to see Doc was like going to chop medical school. He gave you the infomation to self diagnose and treat your own chops, so that long after he was gone you could solve your own problems.There are some clips of me playing on the Warburton mouthpiece site, I hit a couple of "C's" and I think there is one "D" in there somewhere. I've been acused of playing too many Dizzy licks on those clips, anyway you can judge for yourself. But my chops did feel pretty good that night. You ask how much of that is from Doc? I would say about 90%. Like I said with Doc you became your own chop doctor, now thats not to say that after Doc died I never went to anyone else for help. Dave Sheetz in N.J. has pulled me out of more than a few chop jams ( THANKS DAVE! ) in my opinion he is the closest thing we have to Doc , he was a Reinhardt student for over forty years. Not only does Dave know all the routines, he has also been a busy professional trumpet player all his life. You need a guy who knows what its like to be in the trenches. I have called Dave with everything from cut chops to swelling to just simply loosing my placement and he has always been able to come up with the perfect Reinhardt routine to set me strait. Like Doc always said we must "Give credit where credit is due." Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-08-29 18:18 ]
hairy james

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I would really like to thank you for keeping Doc's name out there all this time. Hey man, if it was'nt for guys like you and Rich and Dave keeping his memory and teachings alive I don't know where people could go to find out about the Pivot System. There is really nothing out there about Roy Stevens for instance. nothing much from former students no web page no nothing. That could have been Doc if not for you guys. I mean think about it, Roy was pretty big in his time. He had the studio in N.Y.C and he had Don Ellis and Roy Roman, Paul Bogosian, Loyd Michels and even claimed Maynard had studied with him at one time. He had his own line of Jet-tone mouthpieces ( RS#1+2) and that big book he used to sell for 45.00 way back in the seventies! ( Embochure Self Analysis) He also claimed to be a "Doctor of Embochure". And now the guy is practically forgotten. Thank goodness that did'nt happen to Doc. Chris.

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-08-30 01:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-08-30 01:30 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong on this but I thought you did all the steps of the high A routine four times.
1. Slurred
2.Hee attacks
3. Legato tounge
4. Marcato
WEG
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Thanks for joining us. We could certainly benefit from your knowledge and experience.

I got the A routine from one of the tapes entitled 'The Approach Routine" that Dave had available at one time. As I have learned, Doc would adjust things to the individual. However, it will behoove me to go back and relisten to that tape. My memory may be faulty on this one. Did Doc have a sheet on the "A" Routine.

Thanks.......Paul Garrett

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-09-05 17:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-09-05 17:54 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an early post around here . . . I just wanted to revive some of these concepts and topics.

Rich
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all former DSR students;
Before we tell someone what drills to do we might want to consider the following:
1. Have you see the person play????????
2. Is this something that works for others or just my embouchure?????
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: