• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt / Encyclopedia of the Pivot System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Bacon suggested something on the subject of Doc Reinhardt, so I figured what the heck!

The first thing I wonder is how many people on this forum ever studied with him, and second how many people continued studying with him and continue (to this day) to abide by his teachings?

Doc was so misunderstood, and that's a tragedy. One of the biggest "problems" many people had with him was that he was not one to compliment students on much of anything. If you played a double C that took the paint off the ceiling, he'd just slide forward in his chair and say, "Now we're ready to get started."

He was also very much the scientist, and analyst, and many people forgot his cardinal rule, "The practice room is the place to make corrections, and the gig is the place to good music." He used to also say, "Lessons are cheap, but reputations are hard earned," and "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

I wrote about my experience with Doc, which is at the following site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~scream/pivot/rich_willey.htm

He told many a story about guys who would come in for one lesson and then never return for a variety of reasons. Most (probably) because Doc would show you (in great detail) the habits you had that were holding you back. The vast majority of student want to go play for a teacher and get complimented. Reinhardt would tell you about all your weaknesses. He would also give you ample drills to work on to correct those weaknesses over a period of time, certainly not overnight, and many of those were hard and seemingly bizarre, non-musical-sounding exercises that would make your neighbors want to commit homicide. But, if you did them every day, and then forgot about them on the gig, over time those weaknesses would be eliminated.

He was also big on having you read about 50 pages (only a slight exaggeration) a day for months, mostly out of his Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, and many handouts, too. I did that diligently, and I'm so grateful I had the willingness to be teachable.

So, let the discussion begin, if you like. Or, if you have any questions and want to write me privately, I'll do my best to answer the ones I can. I am by no means a world authority on the man, but I do know about my experience(s) with him and the results of my practicing what he preached.

Take care, folks!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbuser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greetings from cleveland ohio - maybe too late for this post however, i study with a former student of reinhardt. i now have original copies (hows that for an oxymoron) of the his original typed weekly lesson reviews. he has interesting tales to tell including cigar smoke, much talking with not a lot of playing and that he remembers learning an awful lot about how to play the trumpet. everything so often i mention reinhardt just to get the reaction - all smiles with happy memories.
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich...

We've talked a few times and met when you were @ Dakota High School in October.

I do not recall you ever talking about Doc Reinhardt. Do you have anything specific and/or just more information you can pass along about his methods and/or teaching... Books, handouts, links?

Are you still touring with MF?

TTFN
~iii<0 Sean 0>iii~
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...was'nt Lin Biviano a Reinhardt devotee?

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys! I'm outta the hospital and doing better. Heart disease ain't no laughing matter, and I hope you guys are taking better care of yourselves than I did for most of the past 46 years!

Yes, Biviano was a Reinhardt student. Many great players have become great players because they left their egos outside the door when they went in to study with Doc and followed his teaching to the letter. (And believe me, he could really deflate your ego if you gave him the opportunity!)
I studied with Reinhardt from '78 until '86, and called him a couple times before he died in '88. He really was a great teacher. I regret that I didn't "archive" all of my cassettes of our lessons . . . I still have one. However, I do have every single piece of printed matter that he gave me, which is a lot of material!

I'm off the horn until this Saturday (the 2nd of February) and am wondering how Doc would've had me come back to trumpet after a 2 week layoff (including angioplasty midway). I'm really not worried about it, though, and am looking forward to getting back to my regimen of playing trumpet and bass trumpet in equal doses, which had my chops in peak condition just before my close call with a heart attack (it was technically a very mild heart attack even though none of the heart tissue was permanently damaged . . . Somebody up there likes me!).

Feel free to write me about any Reinhardt questions, and I'll answer what I can, and admit when I don't know something (I'm actually pretty good at that!).

Take care, folks!
bobtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I get a copy of Doc's Encyclopedia of the Pivot System? I know it's out of print - does anyone still have the rights? Has anyone tried to get it republished?

TIA!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System is in print, although revised by Charles Colin here in NYC.

You can find them at http://www.charlescolin.com/ and then search for Reinhardt.

I just got hold of the new one this week, and was reading some stuff that I hadn't read in awhile. I need to read out of that book way more often!

Incidentally, the new one doesn't have the complete appendices in it, only the first appendix. Maybe Colin gave it an appendectomy!!!

Take care!

Rich
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad (Type IVA) studied trumpet with Reinhardt during the 70s. Now in an attempt to cure my own trumpet ailments, I am adopting the pivot system. I am about 90% sure that I am an upstream Type IV. (pivot down to ascend). I also just started playing some valve trombone to get rid of some mental stymies that I have developed.

The pivot system in vastly underated, underestimated, and prejudged (based on the name). Many people assume that it's "just another gimmick" or "a trumpet waving in the wind", whereas closer analysis reveals that it is a comprehensive, scientific approach to brass playing, that takes into account all possible mouthpiece placements. It tells you how to capatilize on you physical type.

I believe that Reinhardt does not deserve the credit he deserves.
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Correction: ...does not GET the credit he deserves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: