• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the Pinwheel Routine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know what Reinhardt's Pinwheel Routine is?
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "pinwheel" is a routine used to increase embouchure compression.

It's an advanced drill that really should be given to someone by an experienced teacher of the Pivot System.

It's definitely something that could do more harm than good if not used correctly.

Chris
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris;
You are 100% correct.
The "Pinwheel and the "Squeaking Mouth Routine" are not for the beginning student.
All of the compression drills are strenuous and can do more harm than good if done incorrectly or overdone.
WEG
bubba

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was recently looking over some of the handouts that Reinhardt have given me and I saw
that he mentioned the "Ultra Embochure Compression Routine(pinwheel)" but didn't describe what it was and I couldn't remember what it was so I thought this forum would be a good place to "find out."
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba,
Anything that a former Reinhardt Student needs to have (Routines, tapes,etc.) can be had off-line via email from any other Reinhardt Student (i would be glad to do this myself). What needs NOT to be posted are routines that have no meaning "by themselves" unless a thorough knowledge of the Pivot System and having studied with either Doc or one of his students is the case. Most Routines from Doc state "Listen to tape accompaning this lesson." They (the routines) have the potential of a "loaded gun", so to speak. The "pinwheel" is one of them.
Dave S.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this should be posted here, or in "The Lighter Side of Don Reinhardt".

When Doc gave me the pinwheel routine he was almost shouting when he said......"When I say do this for 2 minutes, I don't mean 22 minutes!!!! Or the next time I see you your lips will look like Louie Armstrongs!!! "

That should give you an idea of how dangerous some of Docs drills can be in the wrong hands.

You know......I never really listened to him when I was a kid. I had so much ambition that I used to do that pinwheel for hours. The next day my chops would be so sore and swollen that I could barely play. But remember that I was 16, and youth is very forgiving when it comes to the trumpet.

Once my Mother came into the room right after I had been doing one of my pinwheel marathons. I pulled the horn off my chops and she said "What happened to your lip? Its all purple, it looks like an octopus has been sucking on it."

Doc even made me a special tape in his kitchen at 3 o'clock in the morning. On the tape he told me; "Ambition is great, but not when it destroys you physically." He also said; " You must know when to give Mother nature a rest."

Good advice.....It was only when I hit my late thirties that I HAD to listen. That was when I couldn't sream high notes all day, and then try to play a gig at night.

It wasn't Docs fault that I could never control myself as a kid. Everywhere you look in his routines and in the Encyclopedia you see..."WE MUST BUILD UP, NOT TEAR DOWN" and "GET UP FROM THE TABLE WHILE YOU ARE STILL HUNGRY."

I hope somebody learned something from this.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: