• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 10A/B Victor w/coprion ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Conn 10A/B Victor w/coprion ... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Who has tried these horns, the 10A (long cornet) or 10B (victor late model produced from 1955 to 1962), "coprion sisters" of the 28A/38 B Connstellation?

I'd like to know how it sounds...and if somebody has one for sale...
1977 Martin Committee
197* Couesnon Flugel
DONAT mpcs exclusively
CornetKent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have owned a 1965 38B and a 1970 36B (Elkhart). These were both great playing, wonderful horns but kinda heavy for me. Also, I prefer the less wide "regular" wrap and valve section found on the 22B / 12B, so I aquired a 1957 10B. The 1956 & 1957 10B had a fixed third valve slide ring along with bottom sprung valves and a regular wrap. In 1958 it changed to an adjustable third valve slide ring with top sprung valves and a wide wrap (like the 38B and 36B). My '57 10B has a dark warm tone but is a monster if you want it to be. I find it easy to play (like an over grown 22B / 12B). The 22B (or 12B if I had one) is my favorite horn in the world!!! The 10B also takes much less effort than a lot of other horns to play in the high regester. Most of all, I love the sound and feel of the Coprion bell when playing. (Oh...and it is really cool looking too)
1964 King Silver Sonic cornet
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
1980s Courtois 104 cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
2008 Taylor Orpheus cornet
2015 Getzen 800 Eterna cornet
And More
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold my late model 10A Artist a few months ago. I sold it because it is too heavy for me and it takes a lot of air to support, too little resistance. Of course I find that of many instruments. About the same as a Connstellation in that respect. As with the 28A, the 10A is a chameleon, depending on what mouthpiece you use with it.

I do have a 1959 6A Victor for sale if you are interested. It is currently at a music store, but it has been there for a few months with no takers. It is in good condition, but cornets just aren't as popular as trumpets. It comes in a period-original but not original to this instrument Connstellation case (the 10A/B came in a Connstellation case, the 6A/B came in a Victor case). If I remember correctly the valves need aligning, but I also have since learned how to do that on these instruments.

Regards, Christine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: