• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jerry Hey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Jerry Hey Reply with quote

I think JH is the best trumpet player in the world who gets small recognition compared to the usual guys who get the most attention, like Doc, Bud, Maynard, etc.

I don't think there's anyone who can move around the horn like this guy and his fellow L.A. studio buds.

There is a lot of info and clips from www.lastudiomusicians.net .

I tried to do a search on TH for Jerry Hey, but the search engine seems to have a bug. It lists a lot of pages, but if I click on anything past the first page, it just says "no topics or posts reach your criteria"

Is there any info on JH on TH?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Hey Reply with quote

He's in a few youtube clips, but what did you want to know about him specifically? FYI, I caught Seawind performing at Pasquale's on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, CA many years ago. They sounded incredible, and the venue was so small and intimate that we got to sit and rap with the band between sets. All of them were very nice and friendly. Unfortunately, the band broke up shortly thereafter -- terrible shame.
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry's great, no doubt - but Warren Leuning's better.

Warren is one of those rare naturally gifted trumpet players. He never practices, doesn't even have a music stand in his house. For years his neighbors thought he was a salesman because they saw him leave every morning & come back every evening with a "briefcase," and because they never heard the sound of a trumpet come from his house.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most stalwarts of the L.A. session-player heyday (pun sort of intended) you've heard Jerry Hey a million times without knowing it was him. The lack of recognition is only real if you're talking about the general public, as Hey is very well known and revered in pro musician circles. Unlike Doc, Maynard, Chase, etc., he didn't pursue a career as an "artist" (as in "recording artist," or someone with records under his own name as a career mainstay). And unlike Doc or Bud (assume you're talking Herseth, rather than Brisbois, as Brisbois is probably less well known than Hey with everyone but high-note jocks), Jerry didn't have a regular, high-profile public performance gig that would familiarize the masses with him.

Hey spent a very long time in the L.A. studio trenches backing artists of all kinds, back in the day when those kinds of records were the norm. And from very early on, he arranged and contracted the horns on the vast majority of the sessions he was on.

Not everyone equates "stardom" or recognition from the public with success as a musician. Having dug what he does for several decades, I can't imagine Hey wanting that - or he would have achieved it. It's always looked to me like he succeeded at just what he intended; being one of the top recording journeymen ever. From Wikipedia:

Hey's career spans the '60s through today. His signature horn sound has graced the recordings of artists such as: Frank Sinatra, George Benson, Jimmy Smith, Earth Wind and Fire, Michael Jackson, Dolly Parton, Elton John, Al Jarreau, David Benoit, Maroon 5 and the Pussycat Dolls.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Hey

Five Grammys & decades of double-scale work with the most popular artists on the planet. I'd settle for that kind of recognition!

Rusty Russell
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

Warren is one of those rare naturally gifted trumpet players. He never practices, doesn't even have a music stand in his house. For years his neighbors thought he was a salesman because they saw him leave every morning & come back every evening with a "briefcase," and because they never heard the sound of a trumpet come from his house.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Warren is a chameleon when it comes to style, but I don't think he would be the guy to do the EWF gig.
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know more about JH, take a look at this website:

http://www.lastudiomusicians.net
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link to his new site. Those soundclips of Jerry's performing and arranging are incredible. Made a CD of them to remind me of what efficient playing and studying with Bill Adam can do for us....

the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't looking for anything specific on JH. I have followed his career for a couple years now since being introduced to his music by Mr. Baca, my professor. I've spent a lot of time listening to his 'back-up' work.

Last night I spent hours listening to the clips on laststudiomusicians.net , and I just wanted to see if there was anymore information or stories on him on TH. The search engine was probably confused at the word "Hey", which gets used pretty often on this forum.

I agree that he is less known to the general public than guys like Herseth, Doc, Maynard, but musician circles know him very well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also has perfect pitch, which has made him mucho dinero doing arranging work for many groups. His house is LA is quite immaculate. He might be better known for his arranging than his trumpet playing, but rest assured, he does both incredibly well!

By the way, he is no equipment geek. Bach ML 37 and an old 3C mouthpiece. When he has to do really high screaming stuff, he uses a Reeves Jerry Hey model mouthpiece: Bach 3C rim, slightly deepened S cup, 692 backbore.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have perfect pitch. Can I make mucho dinero?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know you have perfect pitch? What sort of tests? (Just curious - my sister's done research on this)
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Jerry Hey Reply with quote

I've heard that Jerry Hey's ears are astonishing. The legend goes that people would sit down at a keyboard to challenge him by playing a bizarro combination of notes, like a quickhit 16th note, and he'd call off every single note with deadly accuracy.

There's not a lot of info out there about him, but the apochryphal tales I've heard from people who have worked with him indicate he's freakishly talented and an amazingly hard worker. Not a bad combination.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
How do you know you have perfect pitch? What sort of tests? (Just curious - my sister's done research on this)

There's this test, it's quite sophisticated, that involves someone playing any random note on a piano, and then, without looking, I tell him which note he played. We then progress the test with other instruments. Than we graduate to random street sounds, like car horns, a screaming lady from her window, and jackhammer sounds. So far my success rate is 99.9999991 %.

So maybe not perfect pitch. "Imperfect pitch" is probably more accurate, but my outstanding relative pitch earns me a few points, right?
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought "relative pitch" meant tossing your mother-in-law into the trash can without hitting the sides............

Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeytrpt wrote:
I thought "relative pitch" meant tossing your mother-in-law into the trash can without hitting the sides............

She's too fat.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Warren is a chameleon when it comes to style, but I don't think he would be the guy to do the EWF gig.

I've sat next to Warren. yes, he's truly a chameleon, but there's also nothing he can't play and play the living daylights out of. he can play Lead with the best of them.

Geez, Warren's warm up is one of the most amazing and beautiful displays of musicianship and trumpet playing I've ever heard.

Bobby Burns, the current EWF trumpet player, played in my brass 5-tet in LA, and we did a lot of other work together. I'm sure Bobby would have no hesitations at all in calling Warren to cover an EWF gig, should such an occasion arise.

Jerry's famous for his horn-part writing. As far as I know, Warren just plays.

But anyway this is a thread about Jerry, who's known to be a perfectionist. Supposedly he chipped a double G on a Seawind gig years ago and he spent the next several hours after the gig practicing so that it wouldn't happen again.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Who are you?

Bobby Shew told me that Warren is one of the best at interpreting the wishes of producers who have no musical knowledge.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periodically, Jerry would come out to Bloomington for a week of trumpet lessons with Mr. Adam. He would cloister himself in a practice room on the inner circle of the third floor (trumpet central in the day) and work on things Mr. Adam gave him to do between his sessions with Mr. Adam. I remember one time Mr. Adam and he were in a lesson in Mr. Adam's studio, and a double G of epic proportions came rolling out the door. I peaked in expecting it to be Jerry, but it was Mr. Adam. Mr. Adam has this knack of playing just "that much" better than a student, to inspire them and to help them model their playing. It was an amazing feat, hearing him play just "that much" better than Jerry. All on a 7C-ish sized mouthpiece.

Jerry is a great guy and player. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but Jerry truly is in a class by himself in the LA Studio scene, and as a person and human being. If you ever get a chance to meet him, take the opportunity.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Ok. Who are you?

Bobby Shew told me that Warren is one of the best at interpreting the wishes of producers who have no musical knowledge.

I think he's Tim Wendt.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Periodically, Jerry would come out to Bloomington for a week of trumpet lessons with Mr. Adam. He would cloister himself in a practice room on the inner circle of the third floor (trumpet central in the day) and work on things Mr. Adam gave him to do between his sessions with Mr. Adam. I remember one time Mr. Adam and he were in a lesson in Mr. Adam's studio, and a double G of epic proportions came rolling out the door. I peaked in expecting it to be Jerry, but it was Mr. Adam. Mr. Adam has this knack of playing just "that much" better than a student, to inspire them and to help them model their playing. It was an amazing feat, hearing him play just "that much" better than Jerry. All on a 7C-ish sized mouthpiece.

Jerry is a great guy and player. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but Jerry truly is in a class by himself in the LA Studio scene, and as a person and human being. If you ever get a chance to meet him, take the opportunity.

AL

Thanks for that post Dr. AL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: