• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer Radial trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Selmer Radial trumpet Reply with quote

your thoughts please... good all around horn?

www.christianmcivormusic.com
www.christianmcivor.bandcamp.com
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad horn. Some like them a lot.

I got mine in '73 or '74 when I was a high school junior. I stepped up to a Bach Strad after college in '79 and never looked back.

I had the ML bore radial (no markings on the leadpipe). The horn was not balanced well; it always felt bell-heavy. I also had problems with the 4th-line D being flat.

The horn served me well and I still have it. The valves are very worn (I loaned it out for a couple of years and it had a rough life there). I've toyed with the thought of having it rebuilt. But for the playing I do (all legit) the Bach Strad is a better horn.

That's all my opinion, of course.

-- Joe
forrest
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat biased:

But my ML bore Bb Radial is the finest horn I've ever played. I've owned it since new in 1971.

As much as I love the LB C Radial, it's for sale. They are great horns, with spectacular valve action and an amazing sound. Try one and see. There's a "new/old stock" one on eBay for $3500 (!) which I doubt will ever sell (item # 160304524345), but they're great horns nonetheless.

Last edited by forrest on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Selmer Radial, which was the successor to the K -Modified, was/is a great horn. I believe Maurice Andre was involved in its design. The valve design was supposed to help fingering through a more natural movement of the fingers. One side effect of the design was it had improved intonation.

It is a fine all around horn. It has a slightly more open blow then the K-Modified. Like any horn it has to be right for you. When I was in college I played a K Modified and a friend of mine played a Radial. I liked his horn but liked mine better and he liked mine but preferred his Radial. If you can find one in great shape it is worth getting. Great sound, intonation and the incredibly fast Selmer valves.

Mike
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two (see sig.) Both are great horns. Love em both. The C I got from Forrest (see above post} What a horn. They each work for me.

Michael
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
forrest
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C that Bucaneer bought from me is an XL bore. Plays like a million bucks but I just couldn't put enough air through it. Kinda neat that it's just a few serial numbers off from his Bb.

The bell on the Radials is 5" or slightly more if I recall. That likely makes a difference in projection.
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one a month or two ago and couldn't be happier. I don't know what specific model it is, but it has a large bell (5"?), large bore and is in raw brass. I play it in combination with a Curry 3TC mouthpiece and the horn has a warm, dark fat sound.

I have played it back to back with a post-war (non Kanstul) Besson Brevete, 1947 LB Committee Deluxe, and a LB Besson Sov. cornet and I definitely like the Radial the best (with the Committee coming in second...although it depends on what I'm playing). Great valves (mine were re-done) and just smooth all around. I do find it slightly bell-heavy (and overall heavier than all of my other instruments) but I don't see that as a problem. It's a great all around horn. I use it for everything from Arban's solos to smokey jazz ballads. I love it.

Buy one! If you don't like it, you can always sell it again for how much you paid (if you get a good price).

Oh, and it looks great too

'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: