• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Eterna Serial number

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Getzen Eterna Serial number Reply with quote

Did the more recent Getzen Eterna 900 (not a Severinsen and not the Classic) ever have a serial number beginning with a letter "P" ?
I need to know ASAP.
Thanks
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure, but I think the newer Eterna flugelhorns are PO in the serial number. Im not sure as to what the piccolo trumpets are.

The Bb older Eterna trumpets are not labeled with P. The newer Classic is labeled G (I think).
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I have is definitely an Eterna. It just says Eterna by Getzen and has a thumb saddle. It's not a 700 it's a 900. Probably from the mid nineties perhaps? It has a "P" serial number. I gotta ask Brett Getzen or Mary Rima
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possible. I stopped keeping track of the "new" generation horns. So much information, not enough brain cells!!
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed yet that we're the only ones bantering on this thread so far?

T.H.H.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, You are correct. I just emailed Brett a few days ago about what must be the same model Eterna as you mention. Mine's a lacquer, "P," six digit Eterna. Brett said he could tell by the serial number that mine was made since the buy-back, but also that it isn't made to the original Severinsen Model Eterna 900 specs. He said only those horns stamped "Eterna Classic" are. Does yours have the vertical brace installed on the leadpipe, instead of the tuning crook? Mine does. On original Severinsen Model Eternas (at least the dozens, and dozens, I've seen), the brace was always on the crook, never on the pipe. Aside from the first slide thumb saddle, that's one big difference from the Severinsen Model right there.
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does yours have the vertical brace installed on the leadpipe, instead of the tuning crook?

Yes ,as a matter of fact it does have the vertical tuning brace on the leadpipe. And here's something for you. I am getting a second (NON-Severinsen) Eterna 900S with an "SK" serial number (which stands for Severinsen Knowlton) and was made in the early eighties and it has the vertical brace on the tuning crook. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...this ALL means that any Eterna with an SK number is designed like a Severinsen and the others (with the exception of the classic) are designed slightly different.
It all makes sense now.
BUT I WILL say that the horn with the "P" serial number also has an angled stop post on the 3rd valve tuning slide.
The horn PLAYS GREAT !!!
Getzen certainly knows what they're doing...because all the Eternas ie. Severinsen, Non Severinsen, Classics...all play pretty close IMHO...and they are GREAT HORNS.
BTW, I have 5 Getzen trumpets right now.
1. Getzen Eterna 900 S (old style)
2. Getzen Eterna 900 S (newer style)
3. Getzen Super Deluxe (modified with Amado waterkeys)
4. Getzen 90 Deluxe with old style keys
5. Getzen 300 (plays incredible nice)
Problem is I can only afford to keep one. Ebay...get ready..........
T.H.H.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
You're right again. I did notice the third slide stop on this "P" prefix Eterna 900. Like the thumb saddle, it also serves to make the horn different from the gen-u-wine Severinsen Model.
I didn't mention it, either here or when I emailed Brett, because I got my eyes so filled with the tuning crook brace being in a different spot. To me, that feature alone was enough to indicate this particular Eterna wasn't the same as a Severinsen Model.
Oh, yeah, I too have seen "standard" Eternas with an "SK" serial number. They must be fairly common. It's seems odd that they'd put the "S" in the serial number, yet not put Doc's name on the bell.
Since he'd already left Getzen, you'd think they'd take it off both locations on the horn. Perhaps they didn't want to go through the expense of changing the serial number stamps? Or maybe, like the Olds Super trumpets built in the Fullerton plant with "LA" engraved/etched tone rings, perhaps they had more valve clusters already stamped "SK" than new bells to mount on them? Who knows? Parts is parts, right?
It seems the original Severinsen Model third slide stops were functional enough, but certainly never treasured. That plastic stop might look right at home in a fishing tackle box though?
Oh, by the way, Getzen's "P" serial numbers were supposed to have started in 1980, but they also stopped, with "P576," in 1992 (before the family bought the assets back from the bankruptcy sale, I guess). The "new" ownership then restarted them at "P00100," according to the information I've seen.
I also own a Getzen 710 trumpet (a C, with extra slides for Bb) which has a "P" serial number. Don't know if those horns were ever in the catalog though, mine's the only example I've ever seen.
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.H.H. ,

First of all, may I ask your first name?
Second, Did you notice your horn has a one piece bell....like the original Sevs did?
Third, I think we should wait until Brett sees this post and perhaps he'll be able to clear up some of the issues you mentioned. You do ask some good questions though.
I wonder really if Getzen ever test marketed the Eternas as they evolved.
So, do you really like your PETERNA ? (I just made that up). Do you find it slots a bit tighter than the old SKETERNAS? (another gem). Do you like the tone as much on yours as the older horns?
Frankly I think they ALL feel great,play great, and look super.
I like the weight as well. Overall, I have always been more of a Getzen player than other brands. I have had some Bach Strads that were awesome...as well as some vintage Olds horns. But pound for pound, Getzen seems to make such a great product.
Oh yeah, the superior valves are already a given...but I don't think Getzen gets enough praise for their rich tone, slotting, articulation,
etc. The ease of play is so nice. One of the "knocks" I have heard from a few people is that Getzens are "pichy" horns.
I think that's crazy talk. I have played some Bach Strads that had more pitchyness than any Getzen. It's pretty much the player.
Yamahas ? I dunno. Only played the student ones. never played a pro Yammie. I suppose they are quasi Bach ish from what I have heard.
Nothing wrong with Yamaha I guess, but if I want a Bach like core sound I'd just get a BACH. I once test played a Holton T101 which was supposed to be a Bach Strad clone. Boy was I ever disappointed. I actually brought my old (now sold) Bach Strad in for a side by side and there was NO comparison. The Strad beat the s*** out of the Holton.
Bottom line is...like most trumpet players we're always looking for the next best piece of "axe". Sorry... bad pun.

Last edited by musicmork on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here's how we'll name em.

1. EXTERNA ( Eterna Severinsen 1964-1979)
2. SKETERNA (SK Eternas )
3. PETERNA (the ones we've been talking about with the "P")
4. RETERNA (Eterna classic)

Did I miss any?
T.H.H.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry; my name's Tom. I should have said that earlier.
This particular six digit "P" serial numbered Eterna has a two piece bell, not a one piece. I can see the brazing track going all the way around it.
As for waiting for Brett to chime in on all of this, that's fine. It'll wait.
Yes, I like this "P" serial numbered horn. It's good, though not my favorite. It seems to slot about the same as the Severinsen Models I have, but isn't as "bright."
I find it won't "brighten" when "pushed" nearly as much as the Severinsen Models I own because its tone is simply more "diffuse." That's not bad, just different. It can be more, or less, acceptable depending on the room in which it's being played.
As for which horn I prefer, most of the time I prefer the Severinsen Model; it's tone is "clearer," as my wife says.
I agree with how you feel about Gentzen trumpets. I really like 'em too.
However, just to be sure, I've also been on a trumpet "safari" for a long time now. I've owned a lot of horns, of many differing brands, in 47 years of playing. In my case, I _still_ keep coming back to one particular ML Getzen Eterna Severinsen Model.
I guess, in the end, trumpets are just like shoes: everyone likes something different, for differing reasons. The fun is in trying them on for "size," and "style," and perhaps finding out that the one you really liked early on is _still_ a good one! I've enjoyed it anyway.
Tom
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, rather than waiting for me to find a thread you could just email me straight out. Or at least tell me that the thread is there. I don't have the same amount of web scanning time that I used to. Funny how that happens.

Anyway, what are some of your questions?

Brett Getzen

ps As soon as Doc left the first time, the company started making changes to the 900. Nothing drastic at first, but over time the little changes all added up to turn the company's best selling trumpet into something else all together.

pps The 900 has never had a one piece bell. It's always been a two piece.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: