• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 12A4a and 13A4a mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave C.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Schilke 12A4a and 13A4a mouthpieces Reply with quote

I presently use Reeves 42S and 42M for most of my playing. I am interested in one of these above Schilke mouthpieces for some lead work and upper register playing because of the rim shape and the tighter backbore.

Checking with Kanstul Comparator (older version) these two cups are about the same diameter as the Reeves 42.

I notice that the 13A4 cup is a little shallower than the 12A4. I am tempted to favor the 12A4 because it is less shallow however they both are pretty shallow.

I would be interested in anyone with experience and opinion between these two. (Maybe there is very little difference between them.)

I did use the 14A4a for a short while some time ago, but I felt the diameter was a little too large. for me.

And then there is the 6A4a. It seems that it is pretty small and may not be too good in the low-mid range. Maybe there is a coment here, too.

Availability: I checked with Woodwind-Brasswind and they are out of stock and did not seem to be of much help. What are other suppliers? I can check with Osmun when the time comes.

Thanks,

Dave C.
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I have used both 12 and 13 sized Schilkes for many years although I am not presently using them. In my experience, the difference between the 12A4 and 13A4 is minimal as far as the "feel." The much bigger difference is when you add the A back bore (13A4A) which is very tight and creates a noticeable difference in feel, particularly above the staff. These pieces are common enough that, depending upon where you live, you may be able to trial them side by side.
Dave C.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, when I just reviewed my orginial post, by mistake, I left off the "a" and meant to write 12A4a and 13A4a for specifically the tighter backbore.

A little more detail here, and as I mentioned that I basically use the Reeves 42M and 42S which suit me very well. I also have a 42ES which is shallower and I use for a swing band lead, but the backbore is not a tighter one. Reeves does make a 42ES692, the tighter backbore (which I do not have) but want to explore the Schilke ones. I also recall that their rim is a little flatter. Osmun has these in stock and I'll visit them on Monday to try them out for a short while.

I recently shifted over from Bach 3C, 3D, and 3E and found for my abilities, the slightly smaller Reeves 42's were much, much better.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Dave C.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts here. I feel the 692 bore is not that tight. It's a combination of the 2 and 69 (hence 692). The 692S is tighter. Secondly, have you tried the 42SV? I have played the 12A4a and 13A4a and could never play all that long on them because of the inner slope off the rim. The Reeves have a little bit more forgivenss for swelling with a lower alpha angle. The bottom of the SV cup better matches the cups of the Schilkes than the S and M you have been using. I'd be surprised if you didn't really like the 42SV692S. I'm playing the same piece now but in the 41 size.

David
cdeanw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had kanstul custom make a D cup to my bach 5 rim. It's called the walden, gerard schwartz played on the same. it's a 7dw cup on a 5B rim good for upper range work for classical playing i.e. pic. or Eb trumpet without sounding too commercial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: