• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bugle mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: bugle mouthpiece? Reply with quote

I am more than 50 years old, and I just now realized that I don't know the answer to this simple question:

Does a bugle take a trumpet mouthpiece shank, a cornet mouthpiece shank, some other kind of mouthpiece shank, or does it vary from one manufacturer to the other?

- Morris
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Morris

I believe that some bugles require a trumpet shank, and some a cornet shank.

You can however buy designated bugle mouthpieces.

i.e. http://www.corporatestix.co.uk/ShopFront/upload/bugles-accessories/traditional-bugle-mouthpiece-narrow-bore-shallow-cup/prod_252.html

I believe that narrow or wide bore shank in the above link refers to whether the bugle accepts a cornet or trumpet mouthpiece shank.

I however admit that I have never played or owned a bugle, so I am not terribly up on bugle mouthpieces.

All the best

Lou
Bach 184ML Cornet - Kanstul custom Bach 3C
Besson 927 Sovereign Cornet - Bach 5A
B&H Imperial Cornet - Bach 5A
Bach 183 Flugel - Bach 3CFL
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: bugle mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Conn6B wrote:
I am more than 50 years old, and I just now realized that I don't know the answer to this simple question:

Does a bugle take a trumpet mouthpiece shank, a cornet mouthpiece shank, some other kind of mouthpiece shank, or does it vary from one manufacturer to the other?

- Morris

If we're talking about a modern day professional bugle like those made by Kanstul or Getzen, they take a trumpet shank mouthpiece.

I own a Kanstul and have played the Getzen a number of times.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most will accept a trumpet shank mouthpiece. I have a Kanstul field trumpet, and it plays really nice with a Bach 6BM trumpet mouthpiece. I also have an old U.S. Regulation field trumpet that will accept a trumpet mouthpiece, and one of those Indian copies of a British bugle, that also takes a trumpet mouthpiece.
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty odd years ago I gave bugle lessons at the local YMCA. The bugles they used were cheap, student-quality horns BUT the mouthpieces that came with the horns were absolutely great; if you like small diameter pieces.They all had trumpet shanks and I used one, with very good results, during the course of my giving lessons.

It was about the size of a Bach 10 1/2 C with a comfortable, wide rim and a medium deep cup. I genuinely believe the mouthpieces were actually better than the bugles

Rick

Last edited by Rick on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
4thcavbugler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Bugle mouthpieces Reply with quote

My modern American B Flat bugle (Kanstul), as well as my "US Regulation" G bugle take a trumpet mouthpiece. I do have a modern UK military bugle that takes a much larger shafted mouthpiece - this may reflect the larger shaft bugle mouthpiece option referenced in the link above for replacement bugle mouthpieces. I also have a WWI era US trench bugle - it takes a cornet shaft mouthpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: