• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trimming Cork on Tom Crown Mute?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobidowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Trimming Cork on Tom Crown Mute? Reply with quote

I got a bargain on a Tom Crown Bb straight mute at ITG. I was wondering if the corks need trimmed on this mute. They are pretty hefty. I have the same mute for piccolo trumpet and I had to trim it because it didn't even fit in the bell. I wasn't sure if the corks on this one needed it. It goes in the bell fine but I am not sure if the sound needs adjusted.

Cork trimming has always something of a mystery to me. I never know what kind of sound I am looking for. Any guidelines or suggestions? Thanks.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most mutes are designed so their corks fit an average horn. Thus, most need a little adjustment (thinning or thickening) to work well in your horn. If it sounds OK iand is in tune, then no worries; otherwise, adjust them.

Thinner corks will raise the pitch slightly and tend to reduce the sound slightly. Changing the thickness of the corks will change the sound somewhat, so there are no real hard and fast guidelines. Adjust so you like the sound (out front) and intonation is good enough. Alas, sometimes the best sound does not correspond to the best intonation, but we have slides that move so all is not lost.

FWIWFM - Don
tobidowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: