• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Louis Armstrong Selmer Replica

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Louis Armstrong Selmer Replica Reply with quote

I have been making a prototype of a 1931 Selmer Balanced model like the great Louis Armstrong played on during that period. It is even more extremely balanced than his later K-Modified versions and can be seen in his early photographs. I will try to utilize donor Selmers from the K-Modified series if possible but will remake all the parts to replicate those if necessary. Right now I am at the point of getting feedback to determine if the market justifies my going further with this project. Let me hear from you via this post. Projected cost for the horn in gold lacquer finish [as on the early Selmers] would be around $3K. Thanks in advance.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns, available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony

I think it is a very worthy project....

I am fortunate to have a 1934 Selmer Balanced (L. Armstrong) model and it is a real player. If you are able to get close to the original sound as well as the look it should prove very popular. My horn is the smaller bore and has a nice open feel with a great sound.... Recordings from that period don't come close to what Louis in his prime would have sounded like on these horns.

Here are a few pictures to whet the appetite.... granted that this one is silver.

I wish you well....

Walter
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '52 ML balanced Selmer, like the one above but with a few cosmetic changes. Now, I haven't bought a new horn since my first student trumpet, but if you made one of those with small bore and all like Louis' one, I would be very very interested. Price, well, when a 19A (his model) comes out on ebay (very rare) it ends close to your 3K anyway, so that is expected.
Bob Sweet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
I am no marketing expert, but given Louie's widespread popularity, I think there would be demand for such a horn in the 3K price range.
The thing that is very tough to gage is the effect of our overall economy.

I am curious as to how the Selmer differed (other than finish) from the
Harry James King replicas?

Best wishes for your success with the project.

Bob
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
Hi Tony

I think it is a very worthy project....

I am fortunate to have a 1934 Selmer Balanced (L. Armstrong) model and it is a real player. If you are able to get close to the original sound as well as the look it should prove very popular. My horn is the smaller bore and has a nice open feel with a great sound.... Recordings from that period don't come close to what Louis in his prime would have sounded like on these horns.

Here are a few pictures to whet the appetite.... granted that this one is silver.

I wish you well....

Walter

What a beauty ....... if you ever thing to sell this babe email me .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice some vintage horns - such as Olds Recording models - have a profile where there's more tubing "behind" the valve block, and less "ahead" of the valve block than the typical modern Bb horn*. To put it another way, it looks like the valve block has been moved forward on the horn.

Does this change in configuration have an appreciable impact on sound?

Paul

* Forgive me if I'm generalizing here when I say "typical". But I've come to expect the general layout of most Bb trumpets to resemble my Bach Strad or my old Yamaha student model - at least at a glance.

Edit: Oh, it just occurred to me: Is this what is meant by a "balanced" horn? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to horn designs. I just play 'em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: